Cal State Fullerton tennis suffers season-ending loss to Hawaii in Big West Championship semifinals

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team’s record-setting season came to a close with a 4-1 loss to top-seeded Hawai’i in the Big West Championship.

The fourth-seeded Titans made it to the semifinals of the tournament after a 4-3 win against the No. 5-seeded CSUN. This is the first time that CSUF has ever made it to the semifinals of the Big West Championship.

Many of the matches were rematches of the two teams’ last game just six days ago, in which Hawai’i swept CSUF 4-0.

For the third time in a row and just the third time this season, the Titans started the day off by losing the doubles point.

Sophomore Masako Makiba and junior Danielle Pham lost to the team of Marina Hruba and Michelle Pits by a score of 6-2.

Cindy Nguyen and Klara Pribylova were able to once again beat the team of sophomores Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin 6-3 after beating them 6-4 the prior weekend.

The doubles matchup between 58th-ranked Alexis Valenzuela and Camille De Leon versus 68th-ranked Petra Melounova and Roxanne Resma went unfinished.

Singles play started with Hawaii gaining a two-point lead with Nikola Dolakova beating Makiba by a score of 6-2, 6-1.

Hawai’i then jumped to a three-point lead after Hruba beat Portalatin by a score of 6-3, 6-4. Hruba also beat Portalatin in last week’s matchup.

To keep their season alive, the Titans needed to win the remaining four games to beat Hawai’i and move on to the Big West Finals.

Nuno was able to keep CSUF’s hopes alive after beating Resma in three sets (4-6, 6-3, 6-2).

Unfortunately for the Titans, the onslaught from the Rainbow Wahine was too much as Hawai’i clinched their spot in the Big West finals with Pits beating Pham by a score of 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.

Just like their doubles match, Valenzuela and De Leon’s singles matches went unfinished. The matches were the last Valenzuela and De Leon will play for the Titans, as both women are seniors.

The Titans 2017 season was a successful one for the team. The team set a new program record with 18 wins and finished with a nationally ranked doubles team (Valenzuela and De Leon).

The Titans lost only three games this season, but they were costly ones. All of Fullerton’s defeats came at the hands of Big West opponents, leading the team to finish fourth in the Big West conference. CSUF will look to improve that record when they return next season.

Kyle Allman Jr. attempts jump shot

CSUF guard Kyle Allman named Big West player of the week

CSUF men’s basketball guard Kyle Allman Jr. was named Big West player of the week for the fourth time

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed