Cal State Fullerton tennis knocks off CSU Northridge to move onto Big West semifinals

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis team survived a close back-and-forth with Cal State Northridge to move on to the semifinals of the Big West Tournament following their 4-3 victory.

This victory is sweet revenge for CSUF as last year CSUN upset the No. 3 Titans in the first round of the Big West Tournament.

The Matadors came just one point away from upsetting the team yet again, but the Titans were able to eke out the victory.

The Titans started the day off on the wrong foot, losing the doubles point for just the second time this season.

Kiryang Kim and Kristen Poei, who teamed up for the first time this season, beat the team of sophomore Masako Makiba and junior Danielle Pham by a score of 6-3.

Sophomores Sarah Nuno and Karla Portalatin suffered only their third loss of the season after losing to Skyla Alcon and Elisa Elhadj 6-4.

Senior Camille De Leon secured the first point of the day for the Titans by beating Elhadj in straight sets (6-1, 6-3). The Matadors shortly regained the lead with a 6-4, 6-4 victory by Poei over Pham.

CSUF then evened the score at two points apiece with a 7-5, 6-4 victory by Nuno over Kim.

CSUN punched back, retaking the lead after Alcon beat Portalatin (3-6, 7-5, 6-0). It was Portalatin’s fifth-straight singles loss (including the regular season).

With CSUF’s season on the line, senior Alexis Valenzuela tied the match at three after a 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 victory over Mickey Hsu. Valenzuela is 14-1 on the season and the win was her sixth straight victory.

The match point and both team’s seasons came down to the final matchup of the day between CSUF’s Makiba and CSUN’s Emma Roenholt.

It took three sets, but Makiba was able to beat Roenholt (6-3, 4-6, 6-4), clinch the match for CSUFand propel the team into the semifinals of the Big West Tournament.

CSUF will go on to face the No.1 seeded Hawai’i in the semifinals Saturday. Hawai’i swept CSUF 4-0 in both teams’ final regular season match.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out