Cal State Fullerton tennis breaks program all-time win record with win over San Jose State

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis set a new program record, coming from behind to win its 18th game of the season against San Jose State.

The team set the previous single-season win record (17-6) last season. This season, CSUF is 18-2 overall and 5-2 in conference.

The Titans narrowly edged out the Spartans, winning the match 4-3.

Once again, the Titans started the day winning the doubles point, which they have not lost all season long. The team of seniors Camille De Leon and Alexis Valenzuela clinched the point with a 6-4 victory over Marie Klocker and Gaelle Rey.

De Leon and Valenzuela are ranked 51st in doubles, up from the 78th ranked spot they were last week.

San Jose State then pulled ahead of CSUF in singles play, taking a 3-1 lead. De Leon lost her fourth match of the season in dual singles play, falling to Marine Dans (6-2, 6-2). Junior Danielle Pham (6-4, 6-3) and sophomore Karla Portalatin (6-2, 6-4) also lost their matches.

Just one point away from winning the day, San Jose State showed that the Golden State Warriors weren’t the only team from the Bay Area that blows 3-1 leads.

The Titans came storming back, winning three points in a row and securing the record-breaking victory. Sophomore Sarah Nuno (6-3, 6-4), sophomore Masako Makiba (7-5, 7-6 (5-0)) and Valenzuela (2-6, 6-3, 7-5) clinched the win heading into their final matchup of the season.

Titans to host Hawai’i

CSUF hosts Big West Conference leaders Hawai’i at Titan Tennis Courts Sunday.

Despite a 13-6 overall record, Hawai’i is undefeated in Big West play (7-0). A loss would not affect Hawai’i as they have already clinched the No.1 spot in the Big West Championship.

Win or lose, CSUF has already clinched the No.4 spot in the Big West Championship. The Titans’ only two losses this season came against teams that are currently second and third in the Big West, UC Santa Barbara and Long Beach State.

The Titans will have to go up against Petra Melounova, who is nationally ranked in both singles (54), and doubles with partner Roxanne Resma (68). Melounova is 15-2 in singles play and 10-3 in doubles play with Resma.

In last season’s matchup, the Titans upset the then 56th-ranked Rainbow Wahine, 4-2. Valenzuela and De Leon were able to pick up some key wins in both doubles and singles play in that matchup, and they will have the opportunity to do so again Sunday.

Homeless struggle living on the Santa Ana riverbed

Dozens of the 4,452 homeless people in Orange County are living in tents strung along the Santa Ana River

Indivisible CA D-39 rallied on CSUF campus to support the National Endowment for the Arts

CSUF College of the Arts students performed at a rally Wednesday to encourage Titans to write to their legislators

Fullerton Planning Commission approves amendments to benefit property owners

The Fullerton Planning Commission approved new housing amendments Wednesday regarding Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) in a 4-3 vote. An