Co-ed business fraternity helps build career skills

( Ashley Haley / Daily Titan )

If members of Pi Sigma Epsilon (PSE) aren’t perfecting their resumes or LinkedIn accounts, they’re spending time honing their leadership skills and encouraging each other at mock interviews.

“Being on PSE, I created a LinkedIn. I’ve been approached by recruiters through LinkedIn. It puts me into an uncomfortable situation where I have to grow,” said fundraising director Anisha Chacko.

PSE is a co-ed business fraternity in the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics. The club strives to help students grow professionally and gain experience in marketing, sales, marketing research and community service, according to PSE’s Mihaylo club page. The fraternity has about 60 active members and over 100 members total. The Cal State Fullerton chapter of PSE, Gamma Alpha, was initiated in 2010.

Trish Kao, president of PSE and fourth-year business major, said PSE is unique because it has over 30 national corporate sponsors and is open to all majors and ethnicities.

“No matter what job or field you’re going into, you’re going to have to learn how to sell yourself and that’s where we come in,” Kao said. “We provide those skills for you.”

Kao said PSE has helped her gain confidence, build her resume and form lifelong friendships.

Other members of the fraternity have credited PSE with helping them grow and learn professional skills outside of the classroom.

Vice president of Professional Development Nicole Castillo said she was shy and soft-spoken when she joined but quickly learned to be confident in her skills. The second-year business major is now responsible for hosting professional events with company representatives and providing network opportunities for students.

“(The professional workshops) also led me to really grow in this position as well because I knew that the workshops helped me so in return, when I got this position, I wanted to give that same opportunity to the new members,” Castillo said.

Arnold Nunez, vice president of marketing, said he has built a resume that he feels strongly about as a freshman majoring in pre-business.

“I could see that I was being put into the professional side of business, and I would compare myself with all the other (dorm) residents and I was like ‘I’m getting so much out of this that students wouldn’t probably get until their last year,’” Nunez said.

CSUF alumnus James De Leo graduated in 2014 with a degree in business administration and general management. He said he joined PSE in fall 2013 and served as vice president of events that spring. After graduation, De Leo said he started the tradition of giving graduation cords to graduating seniors of the fraternity who served in an executive role.

“For me, it was important because it’s kind of like a way of saying thank you for all your work that you’ve done for the fraternity,” De Leo said.

Members of PSE will compete in the Pi Sigma Epsilon National Convention from April 18 to April 23 in St. Louis, Missouri. The national convention hosts chapters of PSE from different colleges and allows them to compete in certain categories, Kao said. It will compete for Top Silver Chapter in the West Coast and Top Social Media Strategy at this year’s convention.

PSE recruits new members at the beginning of each semester which includes two weeks of rush events and one week of interviews, Kao said.

“My vision for PSE is to make PSE known on campus and make sure that students understand that (it) will become an essential part of every student’s needs in order to help them get a job in the future and grow,” Kao said.

CSUF women’s volleyball improves over weekend of conference play

Cal State Fullerton volleyball stretched its losing streak to 10 games over the weekend but was able to find

CSUF women’s soccer ties against UC Davis in physical match

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer earned its first tie of conference play in a 1-1 draw against UC Davis.

CSUF cross country places first and second at Highlander Invitational

Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s cross country teams finished in first and second place, respectively, Saturday at the