CSUF Alumnus Jason Khoo shares entrepreneurial insight at Startup Incubator

In Campus News, Local News, News

Entrepreneur and CSUF alumnus Jason Khoo mentored fellow entrepreneurs at the CSUF Startup Incubator Monday by answering questions they had about internet marketing or search engine optimization.

The CSUF Startup Incubator aims to give students access to technical advice and veteran entrepreneurs, a meeting place, and help with contracts and royalties, according to Mihaylo College of Business and Economics Center for Entrepreneurship.

Scott Vollero, alumnus of CSUF, met with Khoo to get advice about the software company SCA Ink that he and his team are developing.

“In our industry, there is a disconnect between the buyers and the sellers. The buyers have a huge advantage over the sellers and the software is just bringing that transaction into balance where the buyers and the sellers are more on an equal playing field and that’s where the software comes in,” Vollero said.

Khoo was more familiar with the search engine optimization, which doesn’t work for Vallero’s company because they “aren’t trying to optimize searches.”

“We have a very specific niche industry that we are trying to go after, so once he started thinking about it in that dimension, then he was very helpful,” Vollero said.

Local businessman Carlos Magpayo said he heard about the CSUF Startup Incubator from the Everbrite website.

“I’m trying to find a way to improve my marketing strategy because it is very expensive to do marketing,” Magpayo said. “There is a lot of money waste, so I’m trying to figure out what the best way is.”

Magpayo said he has worked for pharmaceutical company Midas Touch Research Corporation for seven years where his team now runs clinical trials.

Khoo graduated from CSUF’s Mihaylo Marketing program. He was president of CSUF Entrepreneur Society but said he was embarrassed because he didn’t have his own business.

Khoo always knew he wanted to start his own business. He said he began knocking on doors on Chapman Avenue and State College Boulevard asking for businesses to give him a chance when he was only a sophomore at CSUF.

On January 17, 2013, he got that chance with Quickly Chinese Cafe.

“It felt like the biggest victory of my life because I was doing business,” Khoo said. “It felt amazing to be able to get started and to have someone blindly just accept me. That was the confidence boost and I still use that to this day whenever I get a little bit shaky with my confidence. I think about that and it kind of pushes me forward.”

After he graduated, Khoo became the marketing director at Ron Wave Design, now known as the Search Business Group. He said he wants to stay connected and help people who are interested in starting businesses.

Every other Monday, Khoo will be at the CSUF Startup Incubator to continue to help entrepreneurs with any questions they have about internet marketing and search engine optimization.

“(My business) is my identity and I know other people want it to be their identity. They know how scary it is, so I just want to be able to come back and help,” Khoo said.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted