CSUF graduates provide career advice to business and engineering students at Boeing Alumni Mixer

Cal State Fullerton business and engineering students attended a Boeing Alumni Mixer and employer panel Wednesday at Mihaylo Hall to get career advice from Boeing representatives.

The panel featured four representatives from the Boeing Company who said they came to CSUF to educate students and staff on what goes on in a typical day of work and to offer advice on pursuing a career with the aerospace giant.

Panelist Teresa Gutierrez said she has worked with Boeing for the last 15 years and started as a contract administrator. Gutierrez said she now works as a procurement financial analyst and a business operations and planning analyst.

Gutierrez said she got a job offer right before graduating from college as a business major with a concentration in marketing. She said she was thrilled to be back at the CSUF campus to be able to network with students.

“It’s really an exciting opportunity to be able to connect with one another because not only will I learn from you, but I hope to share my experiences with you as well,” Gutierrez said during the panel discussion.

Gutierrez said she feels having a strong work ethic and passion for everything done in the workplace is essential at Boeing.

James Conniff, a software engineer who majored in computer science, Jaime Maldonado, a procurement agent, and Nancy Wong, a senior procurement agent, were the other three panelists.

Maldonado, who graduated from Cal State Fullerton 18 years ago, stressed the importance of staying aggressive, mimicking his teammates and managers to help him gain a competitive edge and being socially inclined.

Kien Bui, a junior majoring in business administration with a concentration in operation and supply chain management, attended the event and said he learned a lot from the panelists.

“The culture of Boeing that I’ve learned from the panelists was pretty useful. Like (Maldonado) said, if you want to go to Boeing and you want to get promoted, you have to be aggressive, get yourself recognized and work really hard,” Bui said.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.