CSUF Nursing Student Association collects feminine hygiene products for “Lux on Her Side” donation drive

The Nursing Student Association is gathering feminine hygeine products at three locations on campus: The Kinesiology and Health Science Building, Nursing Simulation Center (KHS 182), the first floor of the Education Classroom (EC) Building and in the WoMen’s Center in University Hall. (Taylor Engle / Daily Titan)

Lux on Her Side, a menstrual product donation drive, is accepting donations at CSUF until April 24. The drive is led by CSUF’s Nursing Student Association (NSA) and aims to collect 6,300 products, providing the Women’s Transitional Living Center (WTLC) with three months’ worth of goods.

“The project sort of came about from a few different angles,” said NSA co-historian and project coordinator Lindsay Brill. “First, I was concerned about some of the threats to access to women’s health care … and I wanted to figure out a way to make a difference in our local community.”

Brill said she got the idea from working in a mental health clinic, where she witnessed a female patient who had to ask a male nurse to unlock a closet for access to a sanitary pad.

Brill said she asked the woman if this made her feel embarrassed, and the woman responded that she was simply thankful to have the opportunity to ask because she was homeless and had no access to products.

“I take for granted every month that I have these products, and I became interested in that idea,” Brill said.

Brill said she discovered that living without access to these products can cause women to develop infections, illnesses and stress. In order to combat this, she said she took her idea and partnered up with the WTLC.

The WTLC is an Orange County shelter and service provider that was founded in 1976 that provides resources for survivors of domestic violence, according to its website. The website states that it will accept reentry victims out of the prison system, mentally ill victims, drug and alcohol-addicted victims, transgender victims and emancipated youth.

Acceptable donations are unopened boxes of pads, tampons and menstrual cups, which will benefit those served by the WTLC, according to the NSA website.

There are three donation sites on campus located in the Nursing Simulation Center in the Kinesiology and Health Science Building (KHS 182), on the first floor of the Education Classroom (EC) Building outside of the elevators and in the WoMen’s Center in University Hall, Brill said.

When people donate to the WTLC, the NSA will provide educational handouts to offer free access to preventative health-care information, Brill said. In addition to the donation sites, the NSA set up a GoFundMe page where donations will be used to purchase additional products.

The NSA also plans to bring awareness to proposed State Assembly bills AB 9 and AB 10, which deem menstrual products to be health necessities and allow them to be provided for free in schools and shelters, according to the NSA CSUF website.

“Right now, menstrual products are considered luxury items so they are taxed,” Brill said.
CSUF’s NSA website allows users to find their representative and make a phone call advocating for the bills while documenting the call.

Brill said the NSA also encourages people to share their experience on social media with the hashtag #luxonherside.

“Why is this such an embarrassing thing when it represents healthy, reproductive systems,” Brill said.

Infielder Sam Kennedy hits the ball during Cal State Fullerton's games against College of Charleston on March 17.

CSUF softball to visit top ranked UCLA in tournament rematch

The CSUF softball team will end their non-conference schedule with their biggest test this season, as they will visit

CSUF women's basketball assistant coach Charel Allen yells instructions to the team during a game.

Charel Allen brings her decorated overseas career to CSUF women’s basketball

A Notre Dame legend and five-time Bulgarian league champion, Charel Allen is a women’s basketball icon and the assistant

CSUF women's golf's Britney Sok looks at the shot she just took during a tournament.

CSUF women’s golf take second at Red Rock Invitational

After a narrow brush with victory at the Agave Highlands Golf Course in Arizona this weekend, CSUF women’s golf