Lupe Fiasco, ZHU light up stage at 2017 Spring Concert

In Arts & Entertainment, Multimedia, Music, Reviews
Lupe Fiasco was one of two headliners for Spring Concert.(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan)

11

Picture 1 of 14

Lupe Fiasco opened up his set with his 2006 hit "Kick, Push."

Hundreds of students and guests made their way to the Intramural Fields on Saturday for ASI Productions’ 2017 edition of Spring Concert headlined by rapper Lupe Fiasco and EDM artist Zhu.

The highly-anticipated event was met with some controversy beforehand as Associated Student Inc. began selling tickets two weeks prior to the headliner announcements.

“I was surprised to see that (ASI Productions) didn’t announce who was going to come out (before selling tickets). I don’t think it was a good strategy,” said Nataly Miranda, who was in attendance at the concert.

As students started to trickle into the venue early, they were welcomed with the music of PCH Crew, winner of ASI’s “Battle of the Bands.” The group began the evening with a feel-good blend of hip-hop, pop and rock.

Guitarist RJ Root is the only member of the California-based group who is actually a student at Cal State Fullerton. Frontman Patrick Rohn said events like the Spring Concert are important for the band’s exposure and introducing the student body to new sounds.

“I think every show, you got to give it your all because whether you gain one fan or hundreds or thousands, it really doesn’t matter, every fan is important,” Rohn said. “And it’s also great for the fans to find new music that isn’t being played on the radio every five seconds.”

Following PCH Crew’s set, winner of ASI “Battle of the DJs” DJ Niko came out with high energy as a small crowd began to form in front of the main stage. His remixes and electrifying beats were a change of pace from the band’s laid-back style.

Guests also engaged in the multiple activities and attractions scattered across the grounds. The most notable attraction was a chair swing ride that replaced last year’s ferris wheel.

Other activities included a vortex tunnel which guests could walk through, a photobooth and designated areas where guests could caress and play with puppies and reptiles. In addition to the snakes, lizards and tortoises that were on display, tarantulas and frogs were available for brave guests to interact with.

Food trucks were also on site including Scooter’s Italian Ice, Coconut Truck, Bakery Truck, Nostimo and on-campus regulars like Barcelona On The Go and Crepes Bonaparte. Free food Vouchers were also handed out by ASI Volunteers on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Headlining act Fiasco opened the show with his 2006 hip-hop classic “Kick, Push.” Fiasco’s performance at Spring Concert comes two months after the release of his album “Drogas Light.”

The rapper’s set donned a mixture of new and old tunes and featured a pro-education speech encouraging the crowd to stay in school. Fiasco went on to say that CSUF is “bigger than Lupe Fiasco” and could invest its money in the future on more popular artists like Drake and Kendrick Lamar.

Fiasco’s popular hits “Superstar,” “The Show Goes On,” “Jump,” and “Hip-Hop Saved My Life” livened up the crowd for short spurts, prompting many audience members to throw their water bottles into the twilight sky.

Electronic musician ZHU delivered dazzling visuals and exuberant melodies. His set was highlighted by a house-style remix to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” He also played his more popular songs, including “Faded.”

All in all, some guests did not care so much for the headliners nor the activities and only attended the concert in search of good time and for the atmosphere.

“I just came for the vibes,” said third-year art major Jaemison Yoon-Hendricks.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted