‘Saban’s Power Rangers’ will disappoint fans of original television series

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV, Reviews
"Saban's Power Rangers" is bound to be a disappointment for fans of the show, since it doesn't embrace the feel-good spirit from the 90s and instead treats it like a joke. (Courtesy of Lionsgate)

For those who want to relive their childhood years of watching the “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” through “Saban’s Power Rangers,” they will be disappointed.

The characters from the movie are based on the original five from the “Power Rangers” franchise, Jason, Billy, Kimberly, Zack and Trini.

Four of the five have the same personalities of their original 1990s versions. Jason is the hotshot and has all the swagger, Billy is the nerdy one, Zack is energetic and goofy and Kimberly is tough as always. Trini has a completely different personality in the movie, being a loner and rebellious. At one point in the movie, it is implied that she may be homosexual.

The film starts out in prehistoric times where Zordon, the original red Power Ranger, is able to obtain the Power Coins.

Zordon orders Alpha 5, a robot, to order a meteor strike that kills him and the dinosaurs and knocks them down under the sea along with Rita, the Green Ranger at the time, betrayed Zordon and his team and wants to destroy worlds with the Zeo Crystal.

From then on, the five teenagers in present day eventually become Power Rangers. These outsiders don’t all get along at first, messing with those who watched the original show when they were just kids who had fun hanging out.

Naomi Scott, who plays Kimberly (Pink Ranger), and Becky G., who plays Trini (Yellow Ranger), stood out and were convincing in their roles by truly being able to match the personalities of their characters.

For the first hour and a half of the movie, the Rangers are trying to morph, which can only be done if they are truly united. The movie is basically about five teens trying to get along so that they can fight for a common goal. The goal is to save the planet from Rita who is stealing gold to make a Goldar minion to find the Zeo Crystal.

The movie is a joke and the most integral parts of the film are treated this way. For example, Billy figures out the coordinates to the Zeo Crystal underneath a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop. This seems like obvious product placement because when Rita goes to get the Zeo Crystal, she eats a doughnut first.

The five are eventually united and morph into Power Rangers and they fight Rita’s stone putties and Goldar that are wreaking havoc on their hometown of Angel Grove.

The battle scenes are adequate but sometimes feel overloaded with CGI. When Zord dinosaur machines are united to fight the morphed Rita and Goldar, it seems like they are trying to mimic Transformers.

This was a chance for Haim Saban, whose production company founded the “Power Rangers” franchise, and Lionsgate to finally make “Power Rangers” a Hollywood movie franchise, but it fell flat.

CSUF College Republicans respond to ASI’s denouncement of Milo Yiannopoulos

The CSUF College Republicans club put out a press release Monday in response to the Associated Students, Inc. Board

CSUF scientists receive Nobel Prize for gravitational waves research

Members of the Cal State Fullerton community were among those recognized by the Nobel Committee Oct. 3, which awarded

CSUF campus holds mixed views about free speech ahead of Milo Yiannopoulos’ appearance

Controversy surrounding Milo Yiannopoulos’ scheduled visit Oct. 31 stirs at Cal State Fullerton. Discussions about freedom of speech have

• Rau Ricalde

No, it won’t.