Everybody deserves to listen to the album ‘Everybody’ by Logic

In Arts & Entertainment
The new album "Everybody" encapsulates fame, religion and family through Logic's unique lens. (Courtesy of Visionary Music Group)

In his third studio album in three years, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II gives fans the real Logic with “Everybody.”

Following his most recent mixtape “Bobby Tarantino,” Logic taps into his internal struggles and upbringings in his life as a constant theme throughout the project.

“Hallelujah” opens up “Everybody” with a great introduction as the artist implores listeners to “open (their) mind.” The journey is much more experimental than works on his second album “The Incredible True Story.”

Then the artist transitions into his song “Everybody,” the premiere single off the album where Logic is able to display his versatility as a lyricist and a storyteller.

“White people told me as a child, as a little boy, playin’ with his toys, I should be ashamed to be black, and some black people look ashamed when I rap, like my great granddaddy didn’t take a whip to the back,” highlights the artist’s struggle growing up as a multiethnic youth.

Logic also does a very nice job expanding his range of features in the rap industry as he includes verses from the likes of Killer Mike in the track “Confess” and adds a nice back-and-forth with Juicy J on “Ink Blot.”

One of the more up-tempo songs in the album is “Killing Spree,” where Logic points out the many temptations he faces as a rapper. The hook at the very end of the song by Ansel Elgort, the actor, adds a nice contrast as it leads into the next track “Take It Back.”

“Everybody wanna tell me what I am, what I am not, you ain’t black, you a mothaf*****n’ white boy, shut ya mouth, do it right boy, a’ight boy?,” he raps in “Take It Back.”

Then, we get the new national anthem with “America,” where Logic touches on politics and calls out some of his rap brethren for not speaking out.

“George Bush doesn’t care about black people, 2017 and Donald Trump is the sequel,” the artist begins to rant on one of the final verses. “I’ll say what Kanye won’t, wake the f**k up and give the people what they want.”

The one thing that makes this album complete is the interludes included throughout the album, especially the skit “The Waiting Room,” where the victim at the end of track one has a very existential and influential conversation with a “superior being.”

In sequence, the interlude sets up the next track perfectly as “1-800-273-8255” is essentially a call out for help. It’s the most powerful and moving song the artist has come out with to date, as it is very relatable and taps into everyday people struggles. The inclusion of Alessia Cara and Khalid to the song also adds more emphasis to the vocals displayed throughout.

The track “Anziety” starts as a soft melody and then transitions into a flurry of rhymes where the artist speaks about overcoming his anxiousness and being confident in himself. Once again, the artist taps into the everyday personal hardships, as most people deal with anxiety or living up to expectations placed upon them.

Then, Logic’s second single off the album “Black SpiderMan” provides the world with a different perspective through the lens of Bobby. Logic really embraces his African-American heritage in the track as he endorses the world to change their way of thinking and open their mind to embracing change.

In this album, you can really see the progression that the rapper has made since his debut on “Under Pressure,” as he now touches on subjects much bigger than just himself.

With the conclusion on “AfricAryaN,” the artist’s the theme comes full circle and he expresses the true struggle of living in a world where most people identify and label individuals by skin color, not their actual race or heritage.

With an album much different from its predecessor in all aspects, Logic finds a way to encapsulate fame, religion and family for “Everybody.”

Dean turnover affects college continuity

The College of Communications had four different deans in the past five years, highlighting a turnover trend that is

Former speech therapist finds passion working in the special education department at Cal State Fullerton

Feeling unfulfilled in her job as a speech therapist, a phone call from an old colleague gave Lisa Alexander

Homeless in OC: Theriault House in Stanton gives OC families a home

This story has been updated and clarified on March 16, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.   Families who need emergency