Titan Rover team and ASI Board Chair among honorees at third annual CSUF Tuffy Awards

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Students, staff and faculty packed the Titan Student Union Pavilions Thursday at the third annual Tuffy Awards. The awards honored individuals and student organizations for their contributions to the Titan community.

Hosted by CSUF Student Life and Leadership, the event offered free food, beverages, a DJ from Power 106, live musical performances, a photo booth and other giveaways.

The nomination process for nine different categories took place from the beginning of March through the middle of April and was reviewed by 25 people. There were over 100 nominees and 10 award winners.

The Titan Choice Award was determined by online student votes. It had 14 nominees and was presented by Julianna Hernandez, the Senior Coordinator for Outreach, Recruitment and Orientation at CSUF.

“The Titans Choice Award recognizes a student organization that embodies and exemplifies what it means to be a Titan,” Hernandez said. “These 14 groups were nominated based on their support of the university, mission, goals, quality of their events, impact on the campus and our community.”

The Titan Rover team received the award.

“It was really cool to see our accomplishments come together and to be recognized for our club,” said Titan Rover club director Byron Cragg.

Titan Rover is a multidisciplinary collaboration of mechanical, electrical, computer engineers, and a handful of other concentrations from CSUF including computer science, geology, biology and business majors.

Cragg said the club started around four years ago with two members and has grown to about 40 members. He said many of the club’s members want to work in the space or aerospace industry after graduation.

The club is planning to enter a Mars rover they built into an international competition in the next two weeks, Cragg said. Tens of thousands of hours over the course of the year went into building the rover.

“For a lot of us, it is a good opportunity to do the stuff we love to do and further our knowledge,” Cragg said.

Tonantzin Oseguera, the associate vice president of Student Affairs at CSUF, praised the 365-plus registered student organizations in the first speech of the night.

“You are the life of the university. You are the ones that cared and engraved the Titan experience for over 40,000 students,” Oseguera said. “So to you, student organizations, in particular, the leaders of the student organizations, thank you for all that you do to contribute to the community of Cal State Fullerton.”

Kayleigh Bates, the ASI board of directors chair, won the Titans Leaving Their Legacies award for consistently demonstrating outstanding campus involvement and making the most significant difference through her involvement.

Bates presented the Student Organization of the Year award to the Delta Rho Chapter of Eta Sigma Gamma.

“This award recognizes a group that has made a positive contribution to the university, community at large and is a model of diversity, social responsibility, collaboration and ethics,” Bates said.

Oseguera urged Fullerton students and their groups to finish the semester strong.

“You have two weeks. Finals are coming, study hard, get through the next couple of days, take care of yourselves and have a good night,” Oseguera said.

Sarah Wolstoncroft contributed to this report

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be