Cal State Fullerton baseball sees three players selected in MLB Draft while preparing for College World Series

(Owen Main / fansmanship.com)

As Cal State Fullerton baseball prepares for the College World Series, three of the team’s key contributors were chosen on the second day of the 2017 Major League Baseball First-Year Draft.

Junior pitcher Connor Seabold was the first to be drafted, going in the third round, as the 83rd overall pick to the Philadelphia Phillies. Junior Outfielder Scott Hurst went shortly after, being selected 11 picks later by the St. Louis Cardinals.

In the 8th round as the 246th overall pick, junior pitcher John Gavin was drafted by the San Francisco Giants.

Seabold was a stalwart in the Titans’ rotation en route to their World Series bid, walking just 22 batters in 17 starts, and led the Big West with 120 strikeouts. Seabold’s 11 wins were also the most of any pitcher in the conference.

Hurst’s 12 home runs were the most of any Titans player and the second-most of anyone in the Big West. His batting average of .332 was good for fourth-best in the conference, and his 80 hits were the third-most of any player in the Big West.

Gavin’s eight wins were tied for third-most of any Big West pitcher, and his ERA of 2.67 was the fourth-best in the conference, and the best of any Titans pitcher.

The final day of the draft will conclude with rounds 11-40 on Wednesday, June 14. The Titans’ first game in the College World Series will be on Saturday, June 17, against Oregon State at 12 p.m. (PST).

CSUF College Republicans respond to ASI’s denouncement of Milo Yiannopoulos

The CSUF College Republicans club put out a press release Monday in response to the Associated Students, Inc. Board

CSUF scientists receive Nobel Prize for gravitational waves research

Members of the Cal State Fullerton community were among those recognized by the Nobel Committee Oct. 3, which awarded

CSUF campus holds mixed views about free speech ahead of Milo Yiannopoulos’ appearance

Controversy surrounding Milo Yiannopoulos’ scheduled visit Oct. 31 stirs at Cal State Fullerton. Discussions about freedom of speech have