Courtesy of University Police Capt. Scot Willey

A car fire broke out on the fifth floor of the Eastside Parking Structure Wednesday morning.

A University Police officer was driving in the structure just before 11 a.m. when she heard a loud noise and then found the vehicle engulfed in flames, said University Police Capt. Scot Willey.

“It looked like it started from the front right where the battery compartment is and moved all the way back,” Willey said.

After determining no one was inside the vehicle, University Police and local firefighters began putting the fire out.

The main fire was extinguished, but spot flames picked up from the remaining fuel in the car, Willey said.

Rather than letting the fuel go into the storm drains, firefighters waited over an hour for it all to burn out, Willey said.

The owner of the 2000 Dodge Intrepid was in class at the time of the fire but was soon notified.

Nothing about the fire was suspicious, Willey said. The vehicle recently had work done which may have resulted in the fire.

The condition of the parking structure is to be inspected. The fifth and sixth floors will be closed until further notice, Willey said.

New information will be added to this report as it becomes available.

Brandon Pho contributed to this report.

Cal State Fullerton Baseball has four players selected on third day of 2017 MLB Draft

With Cal State Fullerton baseball’s first game in the College World Series just days away, four Titans were drafted

Cal State Fullerton baseball sees three players selected in MLB Draft while preparing for College World Series

As Cal State Fullerton baseball prepares for the College World Series, three of the team’s key contributors were chosen

Dean turnover affects college continuity

The College of Communications had four different deans in the past five years, highlighting a turnover trend that is