Campus police see rise in DUI arrests around Cal State Fullerton campus over summer

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Due to inaction on campus over summer, the University Police Department was busy arresting drunk drivers near Cal State Fullerton.

DUI arrests around the school saw an increase over the summer, University Police Captain Scot Willey said.

“We have a mile radius outside of the campus, so within that mile radius we do a lot of work during the summer,” Willey said.

With the opportunity to train their officers during the summer, DUIs have become a main focus for campus law enforcement police. The University Police was also a host to other officers across the county for the summer DUI investigation training.

“Our officers are always patrolling and looking for DUI drivers, that’s something that really hits close to home for us,” Willey said. “We want to make sure that people aren’t being killed out there by drunk drivers.”

Soon after their DUI investigation training, officers encountered multiple drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs. With three new officers joining the field, the number of DUI arrests also surged.

“They’re out being very active, proactive, so they’re pulling over a lot of people,” Willey said.
Along with the importance of spotting drunk drivers, the University Police holds campus safety as a top priority.

According to the alarms.org 2017 report, “Top 100 Safest Colleges in America,” CSUF was ranked No. 64. The University Police’s main objective is to continue to have a safe campus that makes students feel protected.

Having police visibility on campus is essential for the University Police, after many students suggested in a campuswide survey that they would like to see more officers during the evening.

Infielder Sam Kennedy hits the ball during Cal State Fullerton's games against College of Charleston on March 17.

CSUF softball to visit top ranked UCLA in tournament rematch

The CSUF softball team will end their non-conference schedule with their biggest test this season, as they will visit

CSUF women's basketball assistant coach Charel Allen yells instructions to the team during a game.

Charel Allen brings her decorated overseas career to CSUF women’s basketball

A Notre Dame legend and five-time Bulgarian league champion, Charel Allen is a women’s basketball icon and the assistant

CSUF women's golf's Britney Sok looks at the shot she just took during a tournament.

CSUF women’s golf take second at Red Rock Invitational

After a narrow brush with victory at the Agave Highlands Golf Course in Arizona this weekend, CSUF women’s golf