Andy Warhol Foundation gives $100K to Cal State Fullerton Grand Central Art Center

In Campus News, Local News, News
(Courtesy of Cal State Fullerton News for the Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton’s Grand Central Arts Center announced on Aug. 8, that they will receive a $100,000 grant from The Andy Warhol Foundation.

“We submitted a proposal to the Warhol Foundation based on their guidelines and in that, we stated what we were going to do if we got the money,” said GCAC’s art director John Spiak.

With its second grant from the Andy Warhol Foundation, the GCAC is looking to further its Artists-in-Residence program, which inspires artists to expand their horizons and collaborate with the community to expose more students to artistry.  

“Our Artists-in-Residence program will allow us to invite local, regional and national artists to Grand Central Art Center to develop new projects,” Spiak said.

The GCAC includes exhibitions each year, challenging the way people view art.

Past displays and exhibits included artist Julie Orser’s “Captain Rooftop,” as well as artist Sarah Rafael Garcia’s “SanTana Fairytales,” supported in part by the first grant the center received.

Furthermore, The GCAC is developing a show with artist Maya Gurantz that will open in October, dealing with political and other contemporary issues.

“It will deal with what’s going on politically,” Spiak said. “Her project will be pretty amazing.”

Spiak said that visitors can expect a variety of other unique individuals exploring their craft, with the chance of becoming involved with their practices.