Cal State Fullerton vs. Clemson Men’s Soccer Recap: Titans mauled by Tigers in 2-0 season-opening loss

Cal State Fullerton dropped their season opener 2-0 to No. 5 Clemson Friday after battling hard for the entirety of the game.

The first half of the game was slow for the Titans with the first goal coming 18 minutes in courtesy of Clemson forward Jason Wright. A second-half takedown in the goal box from CSUF defender Daniel Adoo resulted in a yellow card and a penalty kick goal for Clemson that allowed the Tigers to extend their lead to 2-0. The chippy contest saw Corentin Ohlmann and Alex Juarez get shown yellow cards as well.

CSUF matched with Clemson statistically in almost every category but the one that determines the result, with both teams ending the game with 13 shots and 5 corner kicks.

Fullerton put three of its 13 shots on goal while Clemson had four on target, ultimately sneaking two past the Titans. CSUF Goalkeeper Paul-Andre Guerin ended the game with two saves and Clemson’s Ximo Miralles totaled three.

The Titans will attempt to bounce back when they head to South Carolina to take on Wofford at 8:00 a.m. Sunday in the second game of their two-game road trip.