Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer loses season opener against Clemson, bounces back against Wofford

In Fall Sports, Sports

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer went 1-1 over the weekend, losing its season opener 2-0 to the Clemson University Tigers Friday before rebounding with a 1-0, double-overtime win over Wofford College Sunday.

Game 1
Fullerton dropped its season opener 2-0 to No. 5 Clemson Friday after battling hard for the whole game.

The first half was slow for the Titans, as Clemson scored the first goal 18 minutes into the game courtesy of forward Jason Wright. A second-half takedown in the goal box from CSUF defender Daniel Adoo resulted in a yellow card and a penalty-kick goal for Clemson. It allowed the Tigers to extend their lead 2-0. The chippy contest saw Corentin Ohlmann and Alex Juarez get shown yellow cards as well.

CSUF was even with Clemson statistically in almost every category but the one that determined the result. Both teams ended the game with 13 shots and five corner kicks.

Fullerton put three of its 13 shots on goal while Clemson had four on target, ultimately sneaking two past the Titans. CSUF goalkeeper Paul-Andre Guerin ended the game with two saves and Clemson’s Ximo Miralles totaled three.

Game 2
In their second game of the season, the Titans beat Wofford College 1-0 in the 106th minute of the game when Samuel Goni put the Titans on top in the second overtime.

The Titans controlled the first half of the game by racking up five corner kicks, but failed to take advantage of their opportunities. By the end of the first 45 minutes the Titans led in shots (2-1), corner kicks (5-0), and fouls (8-3).

In the second half of the game, Fullerton continued to dominate with eight shots on goal while Wofford only had one. However, the Titans couldn’t find the back of the net, sending the game into double overtime.

Goni’s first goal of the season came at an opportune time for the Titans, allowing them to escape Spartanburg, South Carolina with their first win of the year.
The Titans will take their next pitch Sept. 1 when they host Santa Clara in their home opener.