Cal State Fullerton vs. BYU Women’s Soccer Recap: Titans tie 1-1 in double-overtime road match

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer tied for the first time this season Friday night, ending their match against BYU in a 1-1 draw. Senior Samantha Koemans scored her second goal of the season to even up the match in the first half and allow Fullerton to stay undefeated at 2-0-1.

“I’m very, very proud and impressed with our ladies. To come here into Provo and play a fantastic BYU team and really kind of force the issue,” Titans Head Coach Demian Brown told Cal State Fullerton Sports Media following the game.

Sarah Fajnor took the first shot for the Titans in the 14th minute, but missed wide to keep the match scoreless. It stayed that way until the 26th minute, when Avery Walker struck and gave BYU a 1-0 lead. Walker’s goal was set up by a cross from Elise Flake, who drew multiple CSUF defenders before sending a cross into the box to set up Walker’s second career goal.

Koemans answered right back for the Titans in the 30th minute, firing a deep shot into the corner of the net to even the score at one.

The two teams went into the half with the score tied and were dead even in several categories, including shots on goal (three) and saves (two), with BYU taking six shots to CSUF’s five.

The second half featured the Titans shooting seven times to BYU’s five, but their increased volume didn’t result in any more success. Koemans would loose two more shots in the final five minutes, but CSUF was unable to break through as the game headed to overtime when Atlanta Primus’ final shot of the half was saved by BYU goalie Hannah Clark.

The Titans continued to test Clark in overtime, firing five more shots with a few coming within inches of scoring. Still, the Cougars defense held stout and kept CSUF scoreless in extra time to hold on for the draw.

The Titans’ tie was the second game of a stint that sees the team play four consecutive games on the road.

“It’s a really good start for our program and I’m just looking now to build on this and get us ready for Utah State,” Brown said.

Fullerton will next take the pitch Sunday at Utah State at 12 p.m.