Letter from the Editor-in-Chief on Daily Titan policy

In Letters to the Editor, Opinion

In my three years of working at the Daily Titan I have had many experiences that have prepared me to serve as editor-in-chief. I have covered stories ranging from minor campus happenings to major decisions made by the CSU Board of Trustees and just when I think I’ve seen it all, something always comes to test my capabilities.

What I haven’t experienced before, however, is the multitude of misconceptions and misunderstandings of what the role of the Daily Titan is for the CSUF community. Whether it’s in praise or criticism, certain readers seem to possess a misguided view of what we stand for, and I intend to correct that.

It’s not just the Daily Titan. Across the country, news media organizations are under constant scrutiny and criticism from members of the public. While I am fully supportive of holding news organizations accountable, much of the criticisms that the Daily Titan and other organizations receive is less about journalistic integrity and more about self-serving interests.

It pains me to say that those with the most misguided view of the Daily Titan are also those most politically active within the CSUF community. Whether they lean left or right, these individuals would rather see a Daily Titan that serves their interests and not those of the whole community. They would prefer our reporters focus their efforts on spreading their message and diminishing their opponent’s. Their idea of unbiased journalism is journalism which confirms their own biases.

While these individuals have a subjective view of objectivity, our reporters do not. When it comes to the Daily Titan news section, there is only one definition of objectivity. Our goal is to bring you the news that is most important, not the news that is most convenient.

Daily Titan reporters abide by the SPJ Code of Ethics: “Seek the truth and report it, minimize harm, act independently and be accountable and transparent.” As with any news outlet, mistakes will occasionally be made, but they always come from unforeseen circumstances and never a place of malice.

I know some readers will disagree entirely with this editorial, but quite frankly it’s not our job to tell you what to agree with. It’s our job to tell you what’s true, and we will continue to do so throughout the fall 2017 semester and beyond.

Zackary Johnston
Daily Titan Editor-in-Chief

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be

• Natalie Goldstein

Yeeeeeeahhh Zack you tell ’em.

• Gino Riccardi

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

• commenter#37

I remember a time when the news media would report the news. Their opinions would be saved for a segment called an editorial. Now days, opinions are presented along with the news, as if these opinions were truths.