9/11 needs to be recognized as a national holiday

(Courtesy of Flickr)

Every year on Sept. 11, people living in the United States take a moment of silence to reflect upon the traumatic event that unfolded in 2001. Whether experienced in person, behind a television screen or taught from a textbook, the stories of 9/11 impact many Americans and should serve as justification for its approval as a national holiday.

Adults cannot escape the annual reminders of the tragedy that will forever be embedded in American history.

So why is it that this day is not recognized as a national holiday? In order to properly remember and honor the 2,997 lives lost that day, Americans need a day of remembrance. It’s the least America could do for those who risked their lives to save and protect others.

A national holiday is a day recognized by the U.S. government and appointed by Congress. These include Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Presidents Day etc. These are official holidays set in place to remember important people or events that have impacted the United States.

What happened on 9/11 fits this category. The 406 public service employees who did not survive while serving to protect and save lives deserve to have a full day of tribute.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day remembers a leader who led a movement of change for America. Memorial Day remembers soldiers who served and died for the United States. These events are symbols to the American people and have earned their rights as holidays. The emotional connection that comes with 9/11 aligns with the characteristics and importance of American holidays; representing a piece of America’s past.

9/11 as a holiday would give special homage to those killed in the planes, buildings or surrounding areas. It would no longer be a mere minute of silence but rather, a full-fledged contribution of proper tribute.

As a national holiday, people would have the day off of work to watch remembrance documentaries or attend memorial ceremonies. People could take the day off to concentrate on the importance of the history created on that day and to move forward.

Firefighters and policemen entered those buildings in an effort to save as many lives as possible, not knowing if they were going to survive.

Aside from the service men and women, there were a total of 2,591 casualties. This alone is enough of a reason for why America should recognize the tragic event of 9/11 as a national holiday.

Victims of 9/11 include not only family members, friends and co-workers but also everyone who watched the event unfold from home. This holiday would serve as a day of mourning for the people of America who are annually reminded of this massive blow to the United States.

Sept. 11, 2001 will always be remembered as the anniversary of when America was struck with the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history. Most people will give time out of their day to remember those who fell, but a greater contribution should be dedicated from the American people and government.

A national holiday would appropriately commemorate the lives lost in the events of terror. America deserves time to recognize the impact of the events that occurred on 9/11, but also time to remember each and every person lost on that day.