Boom California to hold event in Tijuana

In News

“Boom California” will leave its usual space in the Pollak Library next Thursday to visit Tijuana and ruminate on Californian identity and undocumented immigrants.

Co-sponsored by the California Historical Society, “Boom” will host an evening of live readings and music at the movie theater Cine Tonalá as part of its ongoing fall series Undocumented California.

“It’s a celebratory, reflective time thinking about our transnational identity as Californians,” said Pollak Library faculty fellow and “Boom” editor Jason Sexton.

Contributors like University of California, Irvine associate professor Ana Rosas will share new pieces that will be published in “Boom .” Rosas’ article focuses on the emotional perspective of students dealing with the ambiguous fate of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

“I hope my piece energizes people to understand that we cannot be too worn down or too exhausted or paralyzed by the emotional weight of it all,” Rosas said.

Throughout the night attendees will have the chance to speak to “Boom” writers like Rosas.

Following the speakers will be a collaborative performance with musician Ceci Bastida and Haitian refugees living in Tijuana.

With the issues surrounding the future DACA and its recipients, this event aims to motivate both policymakers and individuals to take on new perspectives when thinking about immigration.

“We want people to be inspired by this event and encouraged. We want people to hope, to continue to dream,” Sexton said.

For Sexton, Tijuana has always been part of the Californian consciousness and experience, but the location was chosen for the event primarily because he feels the physical act of crossing the border into Mexico expresses solidarity and commitment to undocumented immigrants.

Students who care about these immigrants’ diverse experiences may “potentially find ways they might be able to become more aware,” Sexton said.

“You can look at the last 40 years of history of Latin America and California. Students have changed the world in many ways,” Sexton said. “So I very much hope students from Cal State Fullerton and elsewhere will come along to this event.”

Rosas said because traveling to Tijuana is a big investment, going to the event shows that attendees care about the issues, which could make it a deeply rewarding experience for students.

“When there is investment of this sort involved, there’s a lot to be gained. People listen differently. They participate differently. They’re more willing to ask questions. They’re more willing to give feedback,” Rosas said.

As a first-generation American, CSUF alumnus Omar Chavez said that he wants to attend the upcoming “Boom” event because he wants to show support for undocumented immigrants.

“This is about an issue that we have right now that’s a really big part of our California culture,” Chavez said.

Due to the position the White House has taken regarding immigration, Chavez said that unity is important, now more than ever.

“It’s a time to stand together, and I think this event kind of reflects that,” Chavez said.

The event will take place Oct. 5 from 7 to 9 p.m.