Cal State Fullerton’s stand-out athletes climb Big West leaderboards

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s soccer teams have had mixed results to start the season, but each team has had a few standout performances so far this year.

Volleyball

The Titans have played two tournaments to begin their season. They’ve mostly struggled to hold an overall record of 2-4, but there have still been a few bright spots.

Currently, CSUF’s top three overall scorers include outside hitter Madeline Schneider (98.5 points), middle blocker Summer Kerins (51.5 points) and outside hitter Shimen Fayad (44.5 points).  

Schneider leads Fullerton in kills and ranks third in the Big West with a total of 87. Fayad is next with 41 kills and Kerins ranks third with 39.

Libero Savahna Costello dominates the Titans in digs and ranks fourth in the Big West with 98, while averaging 4.45 digs per set.  

Men’s Soccer

The Titans, 2-2 overall, have three of their key athletes tied for the top spot as leading scorer. Forward Samuel Goni, and midfielders Mark Hernandez and Ross McPhie each have one goal and are in a 20-way tie for seventh place in the Big West.

Forward Bass Sarr leads the team with eight shots, which ranks him fourth in the Big West. Freshman Alex Juarez trails by one with seven shots, which ranks him second on the team.

The Titans have also been stout in net, with goalkeeper Paul-Andre Guerin posting two shutouts in three appearances this season.

Women’s Soccer

Fullerton suffered a devastating end to their undefeated record and are now 3-1-2, but have still had far more positives than negatives so far.

The top scorer for the Titans, forward Atlanta Primus, leads the team with four goals and is tied for first in goals in the Big West.

Forward Sarah Fajnor follows close behind with two goals, but leads Fullerton with a total of 17 shots and is ranked fourth in the Big West in shot attempts. Midfielder Samantha Koemans trails Fajnor with 15 shots, and Primus ranks third on the team with 12.

In six starting appearances, goalkeeper Morgan Bertsch has completed two shutout games and has 14 saves with a .737 save percentage.