Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer loses 5-0 to Portland Pilots

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer traveled to Oregon for a Labor Day match at the Nike Portland Invitational only to fall to Portland University in a 5-0 shutout after failing to keep up to speed.

Titans team captain Nicolo D’Amato started the match strong by taking the first shot of the game within the first five minutes. CSUF continued to lead in shots, but Portland midfielder Gio Magana-Rivera scored in the 20th minute of the game.

By the end of the first half, Fullerton led not only in shots and corners, but also in penalties after a yellow card was awarded to Bass Sarr. The Titans remained tied with Portland in shots on goal (2-2), but the score remained at 1-0.

At the half, tension grew between the teams when the Titans returned to the field late after taking too much time in the locker room.

The Pilots used the friction as fuel for their play as Portland midfielder Rey Ortiz scored the second goal of the game in the 51st minute. CSUF attempts to maintain possession were constantly met by Portland opposition.

The Pilots increased their lead to 3-0 in the 60th minute of the match when Portland forward Benji Michel scored after a one-on-one challenge with CSUF goalkeeper Paul Andre-Guerin.

Fullerton continued to keep up in shots trailing by only one (14-13). However, Portland continued to make its shots count, adding another goal to the scoreboard in the 78th minute of the game from midfielder Luke Hendel.

The Titans fell further behind the Pilots 4-0 with 12 minutes left in the match, and with three minutes left in the game, Portland University tallied another goal to go up 5-0 after a goal from midfielder Caua Soares.

The Titans will travel back home for their next game against Utah Valley Sept. 8 at 7:30 p.m.

The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.

Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began

An electric vehicle charging station at CSUF.

CSUF to add more electric vehicle charging spots on campus

As part of a statewide goal, Cal State Fullerton plans on adding more electric vehicle parking stations in an

The crowd looks forward to the Levitt Pavilion anticipating an Anderson .Paak performance.

Anderson .Paak holds charity concert for Brandon Anderson Foundation

“Yes lawd!” yelled hundreds of people in the crowd as Anderson .Paak took the stage on Saturday at MacArthur