Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer continues scoring drought in 2-0 shutout loss to Utah Valley

In Sports, Top Stories
(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer fell to the Utah Valley Wolverines in 2-0 shutout Friday, and the team is still searching for solutions to their scoring woes.

“We either have more shots or equal the team (in shots each game),” said Titans Head Coach George Kuntz. “It’s disappointing that we’re not finishing those shots, and that’s something we will continue to work on.”

The Titans were aggressive in the first half, leading in shots (5-2) at the end of the first frame. They dominated the field in the second half as well, attempting 10 shots overall in the last half of the game compared to just four for Utah Valley.

None of it mattered, because the Titans didn’t lead on the actual scoreboard after Utah Valley made better use of its attempts with Wolverines midfielder Gui Leme burying a shot in the 23rd minute and then setting up Paul Hoffmeister for a 71st-minute goal.

The Titans’ lack of answers leaves the team in the midst of a scoreless drought that’s now seen them outscored 7-0 total in their last two contests.

“I did have shots, but they were just weak,” said junior midfielder Mark Hernandez, who led the Titans with three shots, two of which were on goal. “It just makes me want to work harder.”

CSUF was able to avoid any overly aggressive contact throughout the first half of the game, however, junior forward Bass Sarr had a few contact plays in a second half that saw six yellow cards handed out, with three to each team.

“I expect it to happen,” Sarr said. “I like to play hard… When I’m on the field I feel like I have to give everything out there.”

But while the Titans recorded their second-straight loss and are now below .500 at 2-3, Kuntz has faith that his team will be able to turn things around.

“We are producing opportunities. We are electric, we are hard to handle and I think we’ll only get better from here,” Kuntz said.

The Titans will next travel to San Diego to take on San Francisco Sunday, Sept. 10 at 3:00 p.m.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.