Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s soccer stars shine over weekend

In Sports, Top Stories

It was a great day to be a Titan Sunday, as Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s soccer lit up the scoreboards.

It was evident in their play that the Titans were not expecting to add another loss to their records, as many of the players had striking performances over the weekend that shifted the statistical leaderboards for both teams.

Men’s soccer was able to bounce back from its two-game losing streak, scoring more goals (3) in its match against the University of San Francisco than it had in its prior three games combined. The Titans now rank No. 3 overall in the Big West conference.

Women’s soccer was also able to add three more goals to its total, securing the number one spot for most goals in the Big West.

Red-shirt junior Samuel Goni had some standout performances in his first official season with the Titans. Goni transferred from Bethel University in 2016 but was unable to meet any teams on the field that year when he suffered a season-ending ACL injury. But Goni is determined to show his footwork on the field as he currently stands tied for No. 1 in goals (2) and shots on goal (5).

Leading the boards isn’t new for junior midfielder Ross McPhie, as he has consistently led the team in goals and assists in his last two years on the Fullerton roster. McPhie continues his time atop the team and is currently tied for most goals with Goni at 2. He is also No. 1 in shots as he’s fired 13 of them in the last six games of the young season.

Senior Diego Sanchez also finds his name in the lead as he has the most assists for the Titans (2) and is in a four-way tie for second place in assists in the Big West.  

Freshman Christian Pinzon played his first game of the season against the University of San Francisco Sunday. Although Pinzon hasn’t started in any games, he recorded his first goal in his Division I career against the Dons.

The women’s team has also had a ton of contributors to its rise to the top of the Big West. Its huge shutout victory over Utah Valley Sunday added three more points to their overall season goals. The team now records 15 goals in its last eight games. The Titans haven’t seen this huge of a shutout since their 3-0 win against St. Mary earlier this month, which shows that the men’s soccer team isn’t the only one that has a few standouts on its roster.

Sophomore forward Atlanta Primus continues to lead the Titans roster in goals (4) and is also tied for first in shots on goal with 10 to leave her shot-on-goal percentage at .714.

Senior midfielder Samantha Koemans is tied for shots on goal with Primus (10) while also leading the Titans with three assists for the season and holds the top spot for shots (20).

Despite the Titans leading the boards, they haven’t seen their name on Big West Athlete of the Week since the start of the season. Kaycee Hoover, however, was able to earn her first Player of the Week after netting two game-winning goals over the weekend.

The Titans will attempt to continue their standout performances as they head into their next matches before the start of conference play.

CSUF women’s soccer dominates USD in 3-0 win

Now one game away from conference play, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer shut out the University of San Diego

CSUF men’s soccer ends nonconference play with 1-0 win over UNLV

Cal State Fullerton men’s continued to roll with its third win in its last four games with a 1-0

ASI releases fact sheet to inform students about DACA

Associated Students, Inc. released a fact sheet about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals to inform students about what the