Cal State Fullerton volleyball goes 2-2 in Towson Tournament

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton volleyball traveled for the first time this season over the weekend, heading to Towson, Maryland for four intense matches in the Towson Tournament and brought back an improved overall record of 4-6 as a souvenir.

The Titans faced the undefeated Towson University Tigers in their first match but fell short in all three sets, taking their first loss of the weekend.

Fullerton entered the first set dominating the Tigers, 23-19. However, the Tigers made a comeback after two errors and one kill. It didn’t take long for Titans outside hitter Shimen Fayad to make a game-tying kill to even things up at 25-25.

Outside hitter Madeline Schneider gave CSUF the lead briefly at 28-27 but the Tigers managed to tie things up again at 30-30. However, a bad set from Summer Kerins and two kills from the Tigers resulted in a loss for Fullerton, 32-30. For the remaining two sets, Fullerton trailed slowly behind and tried to recuperate from the setback but couldn’t before falling in a sweep.

Schneider led the team with nine kills followed by Tyler Fezzey with five. Savahna Costello outdug Towson’s libero, Anna Holehouse, with 18 digs to Holehouse’s 13.

Fullerton gained its first win in the tournament in the second match with a 3-0 sweep over the Lafayette College Leopards.

The Titans led the whole way in the first two sets, and it wasn’t until the third set of the match when the Leopards capitalized on the Titans’ errors. However, Fullerton was still able to pull out the win at 26-23.

Kerins’ six kills trailed behind both Schneider (14) and Fezzey (10), but she had the highest overall kill percentage at .545 in the match, increasing the team’s overall kill percentage to .347.

In their third match of the tournament, Fullerton took its second loss, a 3-1 defeat at the hands of the Eastern Michigan Eagles.

The Titans won the first set over the Eagles 25-15. However, after evening the score in the remaining three sets, they were not able to regain the rhythm they started with and lost each one.

Overall, Costello led the Titans with 27 digs which gave the team 66 digs compared to the Eagles 60. Aniya Henry took the top spot in kill percentage for Fullerton at .500 and Nastassja Bowman followed behind with .250.

CSUF rebounded from the prior loss with a 3-1 win over the Quinnipiac University Bobcats.

Fullerton endured another intense first set consisting of multiple ties and a frenzied comeback. When seven consecutive points were awarded to the Bobcats to give them a 23-19 advantage, the Titans quickly turned it around with a kill from Fayad to bring back the team’s momentum and win the set 28-26.

After dominating the second set 25-20, the Titans fell short by three in the third set as an attacking error gave the Bobcats the win, 25-22.

In the final set, Fullerton led the scoreboard after a service error from the Bobcats broke the 9-9 tie. The Titans followed up their luck and finished every opportunity they were given to end the match, 25-20.

Once again, Schneider led the Titans in kills at 15 for the match and also led the team in attack percentage with .406.

Fullerton will travel again on Friday to face off in the Indiana State Tournament before taking on its Big West competitors as conference play begins.