Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer reunites with past Titans at alumni game

(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer was more excited than usual to take the field Saturday and go head-to-head with its past alumnae in an exhibition game.

“It’s really inspiring to go out on the field and watch how they play,” said midfielder Hailey Pohevitz.

Driven to prove to their alumnae that they too can contribute to the reputation they left behind, the Titans took home a 5-1 victory over the veterans.

Six minutes into the match, Pohevitz notched her first goal as a Titan, after being a part of the team for two seasons.

It definitely is a confidence (boost) for myself that I can do it,” Pohevitz said.  

Pohevitz’s cap was the highlight of the 1-0 first half as well as a subtle preview of a second half that featured standout athletes for the Titans.

Freshman Alyssa Shelton and sophomore Dani Baldwin contributed to the Titans score with goals in the 48th and 56th minutes to increase their lead to 3-0. It wasn’t until the 84th minute that alumna Kandace Love scored a goal for the veterans.

Freshman Haley Brown scored a goal seconds after to up the advantage for the current team. The match ended with another goal from Pohevitz in the 89th minute to make it 5-1.

CSUF veterans were able to relive their college soccer careers in the match, contributing to the 2017-2018 team’s confidence as conference play nears.

“They’re working hard and they have a lot of potential. They just have to keep grinding,” said alumna Morgan Batcheller.

Batcheller, a 2016 graduate, has now participated in three alumnae games and was thrilled to step back on the field in Titan Stadium.

“It means everything. I spent four years working my butt off here and it’s great to see the younger generation doing the same. It just means a lot. We won three championships here on this field, so it’s good to be home,” Batcheller said.

Titans Head Coach Demian Brown also enjoys how the game brings back talent from previous years and allows the current athletes to continue the Titans tradition.

“This is something that we take a lot of pride in doing, being able to have the players that have represented us in the past come back and join us for a night like this,” Brown said. “This is really good, for just the culture of our program, for our current women to be able to see, and recognize and appreciate the women that came before them.”