College of Humanities hosts fall welcome at CSUF

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Representatives from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences gathered in the HSS quad to inform a steady turnout of students about the different resources available to them at CSUF.

“We’re just out here today to make sure that students who are new to humanities and social sciences know about the resources we provide and all the services that we offer as a department,” said graduate assistant for the African American Resource Center Erica Claybrook.

The Academic Advisement Centerd offered forms for students to change their major, as well as information for those who are undeclared at the HSS Fall Welcome event Thursday.

“We are here to be a resource for students who are looking into majors,” said associate director for the Academic Advisement Center Josh Loudon. “We want to help guide them into making decisions.”

Aside from the different majors and minors, the event also hosted many organizations that provide help to students who need it.

The Diversity Initiative & Resource Centers offered information on their five different identity-based spaces, including the Titan Dreamers Resource Center, which supports undocumented students.

Other groups such as Counseling & Psychological Services, were there to talk with students as well.

“If (students) have a psychological issue that’s really interfering with them and they can’t function, they can come to CAPS. They get a certain amount of free sessions (and) free therapy,” said CAPS psychologist Cynthia Martinez, Ph.D. “We want them to know that so before they get in trouble … They can come talk to a counselor, maybe get back on track.”

Resource organizations like Disability Support Services and the University Learning Center were also represented at the event.

“There are free resources available to students here on this campus … We support students across the curriculum,” said ULC tutor and student assistant Megan Miller. “Right now we are tutoring over 50 different courses. We have a team of 12 tutors that represent almost every different college on this campus.”

Senior Tanisha Hicks passed by the event and used the opportunity to learn about the academics and programs that HSS offers.

“I stopped at a few of the tables and got information that’s really going to be useful to me with the DSS program. Then there’s the study abroad information since I’m thinking about studying abroad next year,” Hicks said.

However, students weren’t the only ones who stopped by to learn more about what HSS offers. Professors and other CSUF staff attended the event to learn more as well.

“I’m actually out here because I’m trying to get information for my students … to explore minors, explore what certificates, what other people are doing in other colleges,” said Human Services academic advisor Ramona Perez. “Our campus is big and many times, we kind of just stick with our unit, our little club circle and we don’t really explore outward. That’s why I’m coming out here, getting a bunch of brochures, seeing what else is out there for my own students.”

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind