College Republicans confirm upcoming appearance of Milo Yiannopoulos at CSUF

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Applause erupted in Tuffree AB of the Titan Student Union when College Republicans club President Amanda McGuire announced to the club that Milo Yiannopoulos was officially booked for his Oct. 31 appearance.

The event is confirmed, and tickets will be available for purchase at the student information booth in the Titan Student Union. Eight hundred tickets will be available for purchase, and will cost $35 each.

The club has reserved the TSU Pavilions for the event.

McGuire addressed the speculation surrounding the finalization of the event, the many questions directed toward her regarding ticket availability and the booking of the controversial speaker.

The contract with Yiannopoulos’ manager was signed over the weekend after several months of extensive planning. McGuire began the reservation process in May.

McGuire addressed safety concerns and assured club members that the safety of those attending the event is one of her top priorities.

“We are working with the campus (police department) and I have personally met with the Fullerton (police department) and the mayor of Fullerton just to notify them this event is going on, that we (were) planning it,” Mcguire said.

Chris Boyle, president emeritus of the College Republicans club, expressed his excitement at the finalization of the event.

“It’s very exciting. We’re happy to be able to bring this event to all of our members and conservative students on our campus,” Boyle said.

Regarding the issue of freedom of speech, members hope the Yiannopoulos event will start a dialogue.

“It’s going to be a great conversation for freedom of speech and it’s also going to be a great event to keep our members entertained and involved in our organization,” Boyle said.

The event has been met with widespread opposition across campus, most notably from Students for Quality Education who have asked the administration to step in and prevent the event from taking place.

SQE presented a memorandum denouncing the event to the Humanities and Social Sciences Inter-Club Council which was successfully passed.

McGuire said she is aware of the opposition to the event but is discouraging protesters from attending because of safety concerns.

“We’re telling everyone there’s going to be a high police presence there, so anyone looking to protest and do so violently should stay home,” McGuire said.

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,

One pumpkin has the same medicinal benefits as supplements from the pharmacy.

Here’s why pumpkins are the superfood of the fall season

Despite the Southern California sun, fall is in full swing and the pumpkins are here to stay. Although this

A police bus blows smoke on the site of the maze.

The 17th Door provides thrillseekers in Fullerton with hair-raising maze

The 17th Door in Fullerton is easy to miss; the only thing leading thrillseekers in the right direction is

3 commentsOn College Republicans confirm upcoming appearance of Milo Yiannopoulos at CSUF