College Republicans confirm upcoming appearance of Milo Yiannopoulos at CSUF

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Applause erupted in Tuffree AB of the Titan Student Union when College Republicans club President Amanda McGuire announced to the club that Milo Yiannopoulos was officially booked for his Oct. 31 appearance.

The event is confirmed, and tickets will be available for purchase at the student information booth in the Titan Student Union. Eight hundred tickets will be available for purchase, and will cost $35 each.

The club has reserved the TSU Pavilions for the event.

McGuire addressed the speculation surrounding the finalization of the event, the many questions directed toward her regarding ticket availability and the booking of the controversial speaker.

The contract with Yiannopoulos’ manager was signed over the weekend after several months of extensive planning. McGuire began the reservation process in May.

McGuire addressed safety concerns and assured club members that the safety of those attending the event is one of her top priorities.

“We are working with the campus (police department) and I have personally met with the Fullerton (police department) and the mayor of Fullerton just to notify them this event is going on, that we (were) planning it,” Mcguire said.

Chris Boyle, president emeritus of the College Republicans club, expressed his excitement at the finalization of the event.

“It’s very exciting. We’re happy to be able to bring this event to all of our members and conservative students on our campus,” Boyle said.

Regarding the issue of freedom of speech, members hope the Yiannopoulos event will start a dialogue.

“It’s going to be a great conversation for freedom of speech and it’s also going to be a great event to keep our members entertained and involved in our organization,” Boyle said.

The event has been met with widespread opposition across campus, most notably from Students for Quality Education who have asked the administration to step in and prevent the event from taking place.

SQE presented a memorandum denouncing the event to the Humanities and Social Sciences Inter-Club Council which was successfully passed.

McGuire said she is aware of the opposition to the event but is discouraging protesters from attending because of safety concerns.

“We’re telling everyone there’s going to be a high police presence there, so anyone looking to protest and do so violently should stay home,” McGuire said.

Now-suspended Cal State Fullerton guard Landon Kirkwood dribbles as basketball during a game in 2018.

CSUF men’s basketball quietly suspends Landon Kirkwood amid allegations of domestic violence

The CSUF men’s basketball team indefinitely suspended Titans guard Landon Kirkwood from all team activities after his girlfriend accused

Kyle Allman attempts jump shot

CSUF men’s basketball held to 49 points in home loss to Loyola Marymount

CSUF men's basketball suffered its first home defeat of the season Wednesday night, losing to Loyola Marymount University 59-49. Since

Athletes studying on a bus

CSUF athletes try to maintain a high GPA while on the road

Student-athletes at CSUF often face challenges balancing a regular school schedule with athletic commitments throughout an academic year, and

3 commentsOn College Republicans confirm upcoming appearance of Milo Yiannopoulos at CSUF