College Republicans club book room for Milo Yiannopoulos, set planning meeting for Friday

In Campus News, Local News, News

The CSUF College Republicans club has officially reserved the Titan Student Union Pavilion space for Milo Yiannopoulos’ appearance Oct. 31.

Club president Amanda McGuire said that although the space reservation was finalized Friday, there are still “minor details” to work out with Yiannopoulos before they sign a contract with the speaker.

“We’re ready to go with (the TSU), but Milo has yet to get right on board with it,” McGuire said.

Interim Associate Director of the TSU Jeff Fehrn said the club first began the reservation process in May. The space has been reserved through the University Conference Center, but Fehrn said the amount of work they’ll be involved in from this point onward could vary.

“The planning process is ongoing,” Fehrn said in an email. “For all groups we try to do as much as we can to make events in the Titan Student Union successful.”

McGuire said the next step in the planning process will be a meeting this Friday between the College Republicans club, University Police, the University Conference Center, ASI and “everyone involved with this operation.”

Students for Quality Education have been speaking out across campus throughout the week to groups like the Humanities and Social Sciences Inter-Club Council and the ASI Board of Directors opposing Yiannopoulos’ potential visit.

“The fact that this whole conversation is starting is actually a really good thing. I think it’s great for students to start figuring out the freedom of speech,” McGuire said.

However, McGuire said she is opposed to the idea of shutting down speech on the grounds that spoken words could put someone “in physical harm.”

“I think the option and the opportunity to bring a controversial speaker or just a speaker in general that our club is excited about, is a great opportunity, and it’s a shame that this school, our students primarily, are organizing around an idea that’s just false,” McGuire said. “I don’t believe that you have the right to shut down freedom of speech just because you are afraid of what it’s going to do.”

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be