CSU reaches tentative agreement about salary increases with CFA

In Campus News, Local News, News, State News, Top Stories

The California State University system announced Tuesday that it will raise wages for employees throughout the organization in a statement released by the CSU Office of the Chancellor.

Faculty will see a 3.5 percent increase in their salaries as soon as Nov. 1, 2018. In 2019, salaries will be raised further by 2.5 percent.

According to the Memorandum of Understanding between the CSU system and the California Faculty Association (CFA), which “represents 28,000 professors, lecturers, librarians, counselors and coaches” throughout the system, the collective bargaining agreement between the two groups will also be extended until June 30, 2020.

“Collective bargaining agreements establish terms of employment (benefits, compensation, etc.) between employee unions and employers,” according to the CSU website. “Labor and Employee Relations negotiates collective bargaining agreements with CSU employee unions to provide superior career opportunities in order to cultivate and maintain a talented, highly skilled workforce.”

The current agreement was set to expire June 30, 2018.

The memorandum states that the CSU and CFA will form a Working Group to review issues regarding salaries within the period of the contract extension.

“Additionally, both parties have agreed to continue negotiations related to intellectual property and academic freedom,” White’s statement read.

The Chancellor said these new benefits are measures being taken to try strengthening the CSU fiscally for the future.

“(This agreement) allows us to collectively engage in long-term efforts that are critical to achieving our ambitious student success-related goals,” White’s statement read. “We look forward to working with CFA leadership to reinforce with legislators in Sacramento how those goals will drive the future success of California and their vital role in supporting it.”