Stalking and burglaries increase, rape decreases around CSUF in 2016

In Campus News, Local News, News, Top Stories
(Hannah Miller / Daily Titan)

An upsurge in burglaries and stalking cases, as well as a downturn in rape cases, were noted in the 2017 Jeanne Clery report, issued annually by Cal State University’s University Police Department.

Burglaries increased from two reported cases in 2013 to 27 cases in 2016; cases of stalking increased from one in 2013 to 12 in 2016, according to the report.

Reported cases of rape decreased in 2016, with only three cases during the year.

“(The term forcible sex offences) was deceiving, and that’s why they were removed. They changed the titles of the categories,” said University Police Special Services Capt. John Brockie. “(The term rape is) a little more descriptive and easy to understand.”

Brockie also said that terms forcible and non-forcible can lead to victim blaming which is something the University Police does not want to do.

The Clery report is designed to inform current and future students about crimes, safety programs and resources available to them and is due every year before Oct. 1.

From sexual violence to stalking, the Clery report gives insight to what goes on around campus and university-affiliated property.

“If you’re on campus and step onto the sidewalk across the street, that is all public property,” said Brockie. If an incident occurs in the housing tract around the campus, the incident is not included in the Clery report.

Reported crimes are divided into four area categories: Campus, residential, non-campus and public property. Residential entries are crimes committed in dorms and are included in the campus category despite having a separate column. Non-campus offenses include crimes committed in any fraternity or sorority affiliated with the university.

The Clery report was established to increase transparency among campuses due to the rape and death of nineteen-year-old Jeanne Clery in 1986 at her Lehigh University dormitory. Because universities were not required to report crime logs, her parents Connie and Howard Clery were not aware of the dangers she faced.

To help other families avoid similar tragedies, the Clerys “lobbied for revolutionary policy changes that would eventually take form as the Jeanne Clery Act,” according to the Clery Center website.

The Clery report also gives information about resources on and off campuses that can help students in need.

At CSUF, there are workshops and projects designed to increase awareness for gender violence and sexual assault along with events hosted by University Police on stalking.

On-campus resources include the WoMen’s Center and the Student Health and Counseling Center. Off-campus resources include the victim and witness program in the Orange County Family Justice Center and Rape Treatment Center.

Campus police aren’t the only university personnel responsible for safety.

Faculty, health center employees, athletic coaches and housing advisors are also required to report on-campus crimes.