CSUF College Republicans club builds 9/11 memorial to resemble Twin Towers, Pentagon

In Campus News, Local News, News

Approximately 1,500 American flags were placed across the Titan Walk lawn Monday by the CSUF College Republicans club in remembrance of 9/11.

The small flags were laid out to resemble the twin towers and the Pentagon building that were struck.

“It’s a day that we are many years out of, but we really hope people and students can come together … and remember the people that died,” said club president Amanda McGuire.

College Republicans club member Michael Emparan, who designed the layout of the flags, said the memorial’s design was inspired by national cemeteries around the world.

“I was reminded of John McCrae’s poem ‘In Flanders Field.’ I kind of wanted to do that with the flags. Every flag has a name of a victim,” Emparan said.

The memorial, which was held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., was created to offer students a chance to reflect on the memory of the event and the lives lost.

College Republicans club events director Ryan Hoskins said the intent was to create awareness with students to immortalize the national incident.

“I can remember how I felt that morning waking up and seeing the news and seeing the towers on fire and that’s an emotional experience for me, and I think it’s something we need to keep our ties to,” Hoskins said. “Especially as people keep getting younger and younger. When the attacks happened, it’s good to remind them what happened.”

Tuffy’s Basic Needs Center opens to aid CSUF students

Over 36,000 students in the CSU system experience housing insecurity and at least 96,000 lack regular access to food,

What violence awareness means for the Cal State Fullerton campus

“I feel like it doesn’t matter how or what happened to me … I don’t want that to happen

Hookup culture might lead to emotional distress and frustration for college students

While the topic of college hookups isn’t new, Lisa Wade, associate professor of sociology at Occidental College, argues that