CSUF cross country finishes fourth and ninth at Capital Cross Challenge

Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s cross country finished in fourth and ninth place, respectively, Saturday at the Capital Cross Challenge in Sacramento.

Coming off a fourth-place finish at the UC Riverside Invitational, the men’s team finished fourth in the 8,000-meter once again. Collectively, the men earned 138 points with a total time of 2:05:37, while Chico State took first place with a score of 70 and a total time of 2:03:46.

“The men ran solid. It wasn’t our best day but it was solid. We didn’t have Joe Casco, so that hurt our depth a little bit,” Titans Head Coach John Elders told Cal State Fullerton Sports Media. “I thought it was a good day for us and something that we can continue to build on and help our confidence.”

Titans freshman Jacob Smith led the way with a 20th-place finish (24:50.3) in the men’s 8,000-meter race. Junior Joshua Silva, finished with a time of 25:01.4 that earned him 30th place. Junior Samuel Pimentel placed one spot behind Silva with a time of 25:04.4.

The women’s team improved by one place over the weekend, finishing ninth in the 6,000-meter race. The Titans finished with 198 points and a total time of 1:49:51. San Jose State took first place with 62 points and a total time of 1:45:27.

“When we get to a level where we all stay closer together, that’s when the team will be a force to be reckoned with. These last couple races haven’t been indicative of what our talent is, so we’ll make some adjustments and get ready for the next race,” Elders said.

Freshman Wendi Leos led the women’s team and posted a time of 21:00.5 to earn seventh place. Sophomore Sam Huerta finished ninth with a time of 21:13.9, ranking two spots behind Leos. Third-best junior Brianna Jacklin finished 49th with a time of 22:15.8.

“Wendi and Sam ran well, as expected. We expect them to be in the top group, and they were,” Elders said.

The Titans will compete at the Bronco Invitational in Sunnyvale, California Oct.14 at 9 a.m.

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —

Pecic working in a lab.

Cal State Fullerton welcomes new tenure-track professor

Cal State Fullerton’s College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics grew this summer after welcoming professor Stevan Pecic, Ph.D., to