CSUF men’s golf finishes fourth to begin 2017-2018 season

(Courtesy of Matt Brown)

Cal State Fullerton men’s golf began its season by tying for fourth place with South Dakota in the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate.

The Titans ended the first day of the two-day tournament 7-under par 568 and held the fourth-place spot. Individually, junior CJ Coleman led the team and was in a three-way tie for second place after shooting 8-under par 142.

Senior Mark Cobey and sophomore Derek Castillo, who made his debut as a Titan, also ended in a three-way tie for the 21st spot at the end of day one with a score of 1-under par 142.

Junior Matt Wilson was in a seven-way tie for the 33rd spot with an overall score of 3-over par 142 and sophomore Davis Holman trailed behind in 65th place with a score of 11-over par 142.

The Titans continued to roll on the second day of the tournament, concluding the competition with a score of 12-under par 852 which allowed them to hold on to their fourth-place ranking.

Coleman, after trailing behind by two strokes from first place the previous day, dropped to third, with Long Beach State’s Joe Fryer at 9-under par 213.

In this tournament last season, Cobey placed 36th shooting 7-over par 213. Cobey improved this season by moving up 14 spots as he took 16th place in a three-way tie with Castillo at 2-under par 213.

Wilson dropped 14 spots from the 2016 season where he ended 14th with a score of 2-over par 213 to a 28th place finish by shooting 2-over par 213. Holman ended in a tie with Idaho’s Brock Anderson for 54th place with an overall score of 9-over par 213.

Fullerton will travel to Albuquerque, New Mexico to participate in the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate on Sept. 22.

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be