CSUF Volleyball fails to complete comeback against Indiana State

In Sports, Top Stories

Cal State Fullerton volleyball dropped its first match of the Indiana State Tournament against the Indiana State University Sycamores 3-2 after making a comeback that forced a fifth set.

CSUF’s Summer Kerins took the first kill of the first set, but the Titans quickly lost the lead after three consecutives kills from the Sycamores.

Indiana State took a seven point lead midway of the set (14-7), creating too difficult a gap for the Titans to overcome. Unable to even the field, Fullerton dropped the first set 25-14.

As the second set got underway, the Titans fell behind when two attacking errors gave the Sycamores the lead but CSUF was able to even out the score 5-5 after a block from Meagan Carlson and Aniya Henry forced an attacking error from the Sycamores. However, CSUF lost the lead again when five consecutive kills from Indiana State allowed them to regain their flow and win the set 25-11.

CSUF was able to answer back in the third set by finishing strong. Fullerton trailed most of the way before a 4-0 run to take a 17-15 lead gave the Titans the advantage they needed to hold on for their first win of the match, 25-22.

The Titans’ momentum continued into the fourth set. After gaining a 7-4 advantage, errors from the Titans gave the Sycamores the chance to come back and even the score 10-10.

The set continued to be close until it was all tied up at 23-23, when the Titans were able to edge out the Sycamores with two consecutive kills from Madeline Schneider that led to their second set win, 26-24.

With the teams tied at 2-2, they headed into a fifth and final set to decide the winner. Schneider gave the Titans their first point of the set but the Sycamores quickly reclaimed their mojo, ripping off 13 consecutive points to take a 13-1 lead.

Fullerton was awarded its second point of the set after an error from its opponent, but came up short as a final kill and attacking error from Schneider gave the Sycamores the win.

CSUF will head into its second match of the tournament when it takes on Eastern Illinois University Saturday at 8 a.m. PT.