CSUF volleyball falls to Hawaii in sixth-straight loss

(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton volleyball headed into its fourth conference game versus the University of Hawaii hoping to put an end to its five-game losing streak. The Titans came up short with Hawaii taking a 3-0 sweep Friday.

Hawaii concluded the match in three straight sets to push its win streak to seven games and leave Hawaii four games over .500.

“I think as a team, we’re waiting for that click moment,” said Titans outside hitter
Madeline Schneider. “Now that it is conference (play) and the teams are bigger and the teams are better, we need to step up…We can play with these teams.”

Hawaii’s high-octane offense set the tone early as it won the first set, 25-8.

Hawaii middle hitter Emily Maglio notched seven kills without any errors, giving her a 1.00 hitting percentage in the opening frame.

The Titans attempted to turn things around in the second set after a service error kickstarted a three-point run which cut Hawaii’s lead to five.

But it wasn’t enough as the Rainbow Wahine kept the Titans under double-digits in the first two sets.

Hawaii outside hitter McKenna Granato tallied four service aces — including three in a row during a 7-0 run. Hawaii ended the match with a 17-1 advantage on service aces.

“In the third set, we started having a lot more hustle,” said Titans right side hitter Tyler Fezzey. “We could see in each other that we really wanted to get the energy back up.”

Although Hawaii swept the match, the Titans had some positive takeways as Fezzey led the team’s attack by finding holes in Hawaii’s defense, coming away with a team-high seven kills.

Despite it being her first start of conference play, Fezzey has made significant contributions to the Titans, ranking third on the roster in kills per set with 1.82.

“(Fezzey) makes a bigger impact than I think she realizes,” Schneider said. “She’s a big part of our offense, especially being a lefty … Because it spreads out our offense.”

Coming off of three straight sweeps, the Titans will get a break from conference play as they host CSU Bakersfield Oct. 3 at 6 p.m.

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change