Savahna Costello earns Big West Volleyball Freshman of the Week for CSUF

In Sports, Top Stories
(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton volleyball libero Savahna Costello was named the Big West Volleyball Freshman of the Week following her standout performance in the Towson Tournament over the weekend.

With All-League Honors throughout all four years of high school and three MVP awards, Costello led her high school team in the 2016 season in digs (301) and has continued to be a key contributor for the Titans.

Costello demonstrated her level of play before the invitational in the Titans four-set match against Southern Utah in the Fullerton Classic where she gathered 40 digs, nearly double the amount of Southern Utah’s highest by Macky Fifita (26).

In all four matches of the Towson Invitational, Costello held the top spot in digs for the Titans with a combined total of 73. Averaging 5.21 digs per set, Costello was also an all-tournament honoree.

In the third match against the University of Eastern Michigan, Costello provided steady defense. On several occasions, she was able to dominate by keeping the ball in play while racking up 27 digs for her trouble.   

The Towson Tournament allowed Costello to rack up 171 digs early in the season and bump her average in digs per set to 4.75. Costello holds second place in digs and digs per set in the Big West conference, short only one dig from taking the top of the leaderboard.

After gaining three straight aces in three of the Towson Tournament matches, Costello tied for second in the Big West with University of Hawai’i setter Norene Iosia for service ace per set at 0.42.  

Costello will have a chance to stand out once more at the Indiana State Tournament before the conference play starts. The Titans will begin the two-game tournament in a faceoff against Indiana State Friday Sept. 15 at 3 p.m.

CSUF women’s soccer dominates USD in 3-0 win

Now one game away from conference play, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer shut out the University of San Diego

CSUF men’s soccer ends nonconference play with 1-0 win over UNLV

Cal State Fullerton men’s continued to roll with its third win in its last four games with a 1-0

ASI releases fact sheet to inform students about DACA

Associated Students, Inc. released a fact sheet about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals to inform students about what the