CSUF women’s soccer dominates USD in 3-0 win

In Sports, Top Stories
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Now one game away from conference play, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer shut out the University of San Diego Toreros 3-0 with picture-perfect goals from Titans new and old.

The Titans dominated the first half of the game, leading in shots (5) and corner kicks (3), and they were rewarded for their control of the match with a booming penalty kick goal from senior forward Sarah Fajnor that soared into the top left corner of the net, just past the fingertips of USD goalkeeper Amber Michel in the 35th minute.

USD also struggled to generate shots, with only six attempts compared to 11 from CSUF.

The Titans didn’t show any mercy, however. With just over eight minutes left in the game, freshman Samantha McKenna ripped a shot that sailed over Michel to bring the Titans a comfortable 2-0 lead and score her first goal in navy and orange.

“It felt great. It was super exciting… It’s good for my confidence and good for the program, ” McKenna said. “As a freshman it’s good to get minutes and it’s good to produce in the minutes that you get.”

In the final forty seconds Fajnor put the cherry on top with her second goal of the evening, giving the Titans their fourth win in five games. Fajnor is also now tied as the Titans’ leading scorer with Atlanta Primus with five goals each. Additionally, both Titans rank second in the Big West Conference in goals scored.

Fajnor wasn’t aware.

“That’s news to me,” Fajnor said. “I want to score goals but I want our team to succeed more. I love scoring, but I love scoring in a sense that I’m helping this team get better and accomplish our goal of winning games and getting to the NCAA tournament.”

The Titans now stand at 6-2-2 going into their final non-conference game against Grand Canyon University at Titan Stadium on Sunday at 5 p.m.

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,

One pumpkin has the same medicinal benefits as supplements from the pharmacy.

Here’s why pumpkins are the superfood of the fall season

Despite the Southern California sun, fall is in full swing and the pumpkins are here to stay. Although this

A police bus blows smoke on the site of the maze.

The 17th Door provides thrillseekers in Fullerton with hair-raising maze

The 17th Door in Fullerton is easy to miss; the only thing leading thrillseekers in the right direction is