Recap: CSUF women’s soccer beats Iowa State 2-1

In Sports, Top Stories
(Katie Alberston / Daily Titan File Photo)

In its first-ever match-up with the Iowa State Cyclones, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer came out victorious in a 2-1 win Friday.

The first half of the match was a game of tug-of-war until Titans forward Sarah Fajnor was able to put the Titans on the board in the 41st minute.

“To finally break through and get that goal out… I think we started to play a lot more like the Titans that we are,” Fajnor said.

Fajnor was able to control defender Jazzmin Mancilla’s pass with her chest and finish with her foot for her third goal of the season.

“I heard her screaming for it, and at that moment I was like, that’s the one,” Mancilla said.

Three minutes into the second half, midfielder Kaycee Hoover scored her first goal of the season off an assist by midfielder Samantha Koemans, giving the Titans the decisive goal of the match and rendering moot Klasey Medelberg’s 90th-minute strike for the Cyclones.

“I think that the goal was us getting back to us,” Hoover said of her score. “I think that (her goal) set our second half.”

CSUF has scored four goals in the first 10 minutes in three of its matches, but Titans Head Coach Demian Brown didn’t mind his team’s slower than usual start as long as they came out ahead.

“It took us a little bit longer to get going than what’s typical,” Brown said. “I was happy going in at halftime 1-0, even happier the way that we started the second half.”

The Titans are 4-1-2 after the win, and are set to face Utah Valley for their first time at 4:00 p.m. Sunday at Titan Stadium as they look to start another win streak after successfully rebounding from their first loss of the season.

“It’s a good building block for us after the game against Utah, bouncing back like this is a real positive for our program,” Brown said.

Dumpling Duo: Smorgasburg LA is a foodie’s heaven

In one corner of a packed parking lot, southern-style savory meats rotating over a low flame sent delicious smoky

Orange County authorities begin mandatory evictions of homeless along Santa Ana Riverbed

Around 180 homeless individuals living along the Santa Ana Riverbed were relocated to motels on Tuesday following U.S. District

Cal State Fullerton announces new University Police chief following nationwide search

Raymund Aguirre has been selected as the new police chief at Cal State Fullerton following a nationwide search; he