Recap: CSUF women’s soccer beats Iowa State 2-1

In Sports, Top Stories
(Katie Alberston / Daily Titan File Photo)

In its first-ever match-up with the Iowa State Cyclones, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer came out victorious in a 2-1 win Friday.

The first half of the match was a game of tug-of-war until Titans forward Sarah Fajnor was able to put the Titans on the board in the 41st minute.

“To finally break through and get that goal out… I think we started to play a lot more like the Titans that we are,” Fajnor said.

Fajnor was able to control defender Jazzmin Mancilla’s pass with her chest and finish with her foot for her third goal of the season.

“I heard her screaming for it, and at that moment I was like, that’s the one,” Mancilla said.

Three minutes into the second half, midfielder Kaycee Hoover scored her first goal of the season off an assist by midfielder Samantha Koemans, giving the Titans the decisive goal of the match and rendering moot Klasey Medelberg’s 90th-minute strike for the Cyclones.

“I think that the goal was us getting back to us,” Hoover said of her score. “I think that (her goal) set our second half.”

CSUF has scored four goals in the first 10 minutes in three of its matches, but Titans Head Coach Demian Brown didn’t mind his team’s slower than usual start as long as they came out ahead.

“It took us a little bit longer to get going than what’s typical,” Brown said. “I was happy going in at halftime 1-0, even happier the way that we started the second half.”

The Titans are 4-1-2 after the win, and are set to face Utah Valley for their first time at 4:00 p.m. Sunday at Titan Stadium as they look to start another win streak after successfully rebounding from their first loss of the season.

“It’s a good building block for us after the game against Utah, bouncing back like this is a real positive for our program,” Brown said.

CSUF women’s soccer dominates USD in 3-0 win

Now one game away from conference play, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer shut out the University of San Diego

CSUF men’s soccer ends nonconference play with 1-0 win over UNLV

Cal State Fullerton men’s continued to roll with its third win in its last four games with a 1-0

ASI releases fact sheet to inform students about DACA

Associated Students, Inc. released a fact sheet about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals to inform students about what the