Discoverfest excites students at Cal State Fullerton

In Features, Student Body
(Bailey Carpenter/ Daily Titan)

Entering a school with over 40,000 students seems like a great way to meet new people and make friends, but doing so can be daunting.

Thanks to Discoverfest at Cal State Fullerton, however, freshman and seniors alike were able to unearth the various clubs and organizations on campus and become more socially connected with the community.

Discoverfest is a two-day event on campus that showcases each semester the unique organizations and clubs the school has to offer. During the event, students were able to learn about some of CSUF’s 300 clubs and organizations and how joining them can help both professionally and socially. From cultural to special interest clubs, students had the opportunity to learn more about each organization.

One of the most unique clubs at Discoverfest was the Harry Potter Alliance. According to the nonprofit’s TitanLink page, HPA’s mission is to “empower our members to act like the heroes that they love by acting for a better world.” To fulfill their mission statement, HPA uses elements from Harry Potter books to help educate “young people across the world toward issues of literacy, equality, and human rights.”

After attending the first meeting, club members get sorted into their respective Hogwarts House and participate in Harry Potter activities like making their own wands and playing quidditch.

The club has Harry Potter-themed challenges like scavenger hunts during meetings and by earning points after each challenge, members are awarded a house cup.

While some events are free, there is a membership fee of $15 for those who want to partake in the crafts and become consistently active in HPA. Students can also join by visiting the club’s facebook page. Members can especially look forward to their Yule Ball– the club’s adaptation of the triwizard dance tournament– held in November.

Also tabling at Discoverfest were the Young Americans for Liberty (YAL). With over 900 chapters across the country, YAL prioritizes the education of free speech and the constitution. According to their website, all YAL chapters “seek to identify, educate, train, and mobilize young people.”

“We are a college organization across the country, that focuses on libertarian ideas,” said CSUF YAL president, Aaron Van Meter-Jones. “It’s open to anyone of any political ideology or interest.”

Along with the openness of political values, YAL offers students free enrollment into the organization. Any interested student can attend their meetings, which are usually held in Langsdorf Hall.

Besides their meetings, YAL hosts social gatherings including taking members to a shooting range to educate firearms and improve their skills.

For students interested in the entertainment industry, the Entertainment & Tourism Club offers plenty of networking opportunities, as well as behind-the-scenes looks at Hollywood award shows.

ETC prides itself in helping students achieve their path toward a job in the industry.

“We mainly have panels where we invite professionals from any entertainment industry aspect or tourism aspect,” said ETC Vice President Jenny Huynh. “They tell us a little bit about their journey, what they do and how they got there.”

A student can become a member of ETC by going to one of their kick-off events and paying a fee of $50 to gain access to TV tapings and networking opportunities.

“It’s a great way to build your network, build connections and even get internships out of it,” Huynh said.

Although it’s mostly beneficial for those majoring in communications, ETC is an inclusive club, open to all majors.

“Business majors have gotten jobs or internships out of (ETC) as well,” Huynh said.

ETC’s first event will be held Wednesday at the The Pub located in the Titan Student Union at 8 p.m.

Whether students want to join a club because of their love for Harry Potter or express their political ideals, there is club for everyone. All the clubs and organizations that came out to Discoverfest presented a chance for students to engage socially or academically at CSUF.

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be