Trump administration’s halt on equal pay rule sexist and unfair

(Courtesy of Flickr)

Last week, the Trump administration made a sexist decision by stopping an addition to the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act that aimed to help women combat the gender wage gap.

The halted regulation was supposed take effect at the end of September and would have required companies with more than 100 workers to provide information on how much they pay their workers, along with their sex, ethnicity and race.

This executive order was set to pave the way to equality for women by making businesses police themselves, providing statistical evidence for support.

Instead, it was stopped by President Donald Trump.

When Trump terminated the rule, he halted the fight for both equal rights and pay for women. This rule would have potentially provided vital evidence that unequal pay is in fact occurring within big companies.

“Pay discrimination goes undetected because of a lack of accurate information about what people are paid,” said chairwoman of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Jenny Yang at a White House conference. “Collecting this pay data would help fill a critical void we need to ensure American workers receive fair pay for their work.”

Someone’s gender, ethnicity and race should never have an influence on one’s paycheck. But the fact of the matter is that it does. It needs to change, yet Trump and his administration cannot seem to recognize the numbers.

The gender wage gap has decreased over the years, but it is still substantial.

In 2016, the median weekly full-time earnings for men 25 years or older was $969 and $784 for women, according to a 2017 survey conducted by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

An unjustified difference in pay is disgraceful. Women should not be getting paid only 80.9 percent of a man’s income.

Studies have suggested this gap exists because of factors such as the “motherhood penalty.”

“Mothers working full time, year round outside the home are paid just 71 cents for every dollar paid to fathers, a gap that translates to a loss of $16,000 annually,” according to the U.S. Census Bureau, 2015 American Community Survey.

Women bear most of the family burden. Working mothers are three times more likely than working fathers to say being a parent has hindered their chance of advancement in their job or career, according to a 2013 Pew Research survey.

They do not deserve to be discriminated against just because they are expecting, and their gender should not be a deciding factor that affects pay.

Former President Barack Obama set the stage for gathering the necessary data to prove whether-or-not any given organization is discriminating against women but the regulation was shot down even before businesses reported their worker’s pay.

Trump’s actions are paradoxical. It took less than a week for his actions to contradict his promise.

“My administration is committed to fostering an economy where all women can succeed and thrive. We must prioritize the needs of working mothers and families,” stated Trump in a proclamation on Aug. 26, Women’s Equality Day.

Four days later, Trump and his administration both failed to lend a helping hand to women after shutting the regulation down, but why?

“It’s enormously burdensome,” Neomi Rao of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs told the Wall Street Journal. “We don’t believe it would actually help us gather information about wage and employment discrimination.”

If Trump and his administration really care about women, they would have never stopped the regulation in the first place. If they truly believe in equality, bringing the rule back is necessary.

Three Titans in position for serve receive

CSUF volleyball hosts No. 15 Cal Poly SLO on Friday

CSUF volleyball will host reigning Big West champions and No. 15 Cal Poly SLO, according to the NCAA, on

Samantha McKenna battling for the ball

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer travels to University of San Diego before hosting University of Denver

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer (3-5-1) will finish its four-game road trip Sept. 21 at the University of San

A spread of fresh vegetables: strawberries, peppers, carrots, cilantro, and an apple.

Devil’s Advocate: Significant change begins with vegetarianism

Maintaining a vegetarian diet is better for the environment, people’s health and a more ethical way to live, even