Fullerton volleyball faces Hawaii looking for its first conference win

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton volleyball will attempt to record its first win of the season against the University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahines.

The 2017 season has been a rough one for the Titans, who are winless in conference play. Their match against Hawaii, who holds a strong grip on a six-game winning streak, may give CSUF the fuel it is looking for.

Fullerton has an overall record of 4-11 and 0-3 in the conference. Cal Poly, who took a 3-0 sweep over CSUF, is in the top spot in the Big West. Hawaii follows in a three-way tie for second and carries an overall 8-5 record.

Ranking fourth in digs at 220 and fifth in service aces with 0.33 average, libero Savahna Costello, also a Big West honoree, is the only Titan placing in the top five across the Big West leaderboards.

Fellow Titans fall just a few ranks behind the top five positions as Madeline Schneider ranks seventh in the Big West with 168 kills and Shimen Fayad trails in the 21st spot with 104. Fullerton setter Nastassja Bowman holds the seventh spot in conference with 393 assists, but still holds the leading position on the CSUF team.

The Rainbow Wahine rank first in blocks per set and service aces, with players in the top five in all stat categories except for digs.

In the 2016 season, the Titans were shut down 3-0 by the Rainbow Wahine by roughly 10 points in each set. Fullerton’s outside hitters Schneider and Fayad led the team in kills (11-9) and points (11.5-11). Hawaii not only dominated Fullerton last season, but took the Big West title that same year with a 15-1 record, its only loss being to Long Beach State.

The Titans are set to face the Rainbow Wahine for the fourth match of conference play Friday at 7 p.m. in Titan Gym.

A photo of Rami Perlman giving advice to CSUF's Music Industry club.

Space Yacht entrepreneur group gives industry advice to CSUF students

Space Yacht, a Los Angeles events collective, was invited by the Cal State Fullerton Music Industry Club on Tuesday

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.