CSUF women’s golf earns second place in season opening tournament

(Courtesy of Kelly Gorham)

Cal State Fullerton women’s golf fought into the final round of the Battle at Old Works tournament and earned a second-place finish in its first tournament of the season. The Titans finished with a score of 23-over par 864 but were trumped by North Dakota State’s 14-over par 864.

In the first round of the tournament the Titans tied Eastern Washington for third place with a score of 4-over par 288. In the second round, Cal State Fullerton finished fourth with a score of 8-over par 288.

Junior Pauline Welker finished the first day of the tournament as a top-10 contender after shooting 1-over par 145. Her teammate Elsa Lundquist was tied for 14th place, while fellow Titans Brittany Farrell and Britney Sok were tied for 19th place at the end of the first day.

In the third and final round, Fullerton’s score of 4-over par 292 was the best of any team on the course. Ultimately, the Titans’ efforts weren’t enough as North Dakota placed first in all three rounds and took the top spot in the tournament.

Individually, CSUF excelled on the final day of the competition with two top-10 finishers: Welker and Lundquist. Welker beat out a three-way tie for fifth place after the first two rounds by shooting 1-over par 73 in the third round to finish 2-over par 218 and earn a third-place finish. Lundquist tied Cal State Northridge’s Alice Duan for sixth place overall with a score of 3-over par 216.

CSUF aims to maintain momentum when the Titans play in the WSU Cougar Cup in Pullman, Washington on Monday Sept.18. 

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be