Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion appoints new chief of operations

Cal State Fullerton Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion named Tara Garcia as its new chief of operations Wednesday.

Vice President of HRDI David Forgues announced Garcia’s appointment in a memo sent to campus faculty and staff Sept. 20. Garcia will start as chief of operations on Oct. 30.

“Based on the search committee’s recommendations, campus support and success in her current position(s) on campus as the executive director of university advancement for administration (and as the) finance/philanthropic foundation CFO, I am confident that she will provide outstanding leadership to the division as we continue to advance the mission of the university,” Forgues’ memo said.

HRDI aims to meet the needs of students and faculty while maintaining a diverse and multicultural environment, according to the HRDI website.

“Human resources is all of the talent management. So staff, faculty, payroll, benefits, all the operational aspects, but it’s also diversity and inclusion. (It’s) diversity of degree, diversity of perspective and making sure that we’re inclusive of all that,” Garcia said.

As chief of operations of HRDI, Garcia said she will be “helping that (HR) team move the organization forward and foster the vision for HR.”

University Advancement is CSUF’s advocacy program, that focuses on building relationships with the community and supporting students and alumni.

“(I) handle all the operations for the division’s side of the house,” Garcia said.

As the Philanthropic Foundation CFO, Garcia oversees the donations and gifts to CSUF from its benefactors.

“Anything that comes in from a donor … we manage those funds and disperse them out to campus,” Garcia said.

Garcia graduated from CSUF in 1996 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in criminal justice and a minor in psychology and began working for University Advancement Major Events in 1997.

In 2002, Garcia handled budgets and human resources as part of a new position in University Advancement Services. In the years leading up to her current status as executive director, Garcia held several different positions but said she found a passion for HR.

“If we didn’t have HR, we wouldn’t have faculty and staff to support our students,” Garcia said. “That‘s what we’re here for.”

For Garcia, her new position is the next step in a long history as a Titan.

“CSUF is so innovative,” Garcia said, citing her excitement of having seen improvements in graduation as well as counseling and academic advising.

As chief of operations, Garcia said she will continue to support faculty and students while growing HRDI’s presence on campus.

“I’m just really eager to get into that role in a place I’m very passionate about,” Garcia said. “Cal State Fullerton is going to be the national model comprehensive university that the president wants it to be.”

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field. In