SQE asks Humanities Inter-Club Council for vote to denounce Milo Yiannopoulos

Students for Quality Education presented the Humanities and Social Sciences Inter-Club Council (HSS ICC) with a request to issue a memorandum in support of a counter event and denouncement of the possible upcoming appearance of Milo Yiannopoulos on campus.

SQE is asking the council for a preliminary vote to issue the memorandum at their next meeting. HSS ICC has issued progressive memorandums in the past, which SQE took to other councils and ASI. SQE hopes other councils and organizations will follow if the HSS ICC approves to issue the memorandum.

“If we did pass it, and the council approved of this, it would pretty much mean that us as a council are against this event that is happening. We want to let ASI and (Student Life and Leadership) know that as a college, we stand against what this speaker is bringing to our campus,” said Dania Salgado, chair of HSS ICC.

Two members of SQE, Liz Sanchez and Rebecca Hesgard spoke during the public speakers portion of the council’s meeting to present on Yiannopoulos’ background and the previous incidents spurred from his visits to other college campuses.

“When he went to UC Berkeley, he became a nationally recognized figure because of the large protest that happened due to his presence. He targeted specific students in vulnerable communities, and it’s a question of student safety,” Hesgard said.

Last semester, the council joined SQE in hosting a rally event against the CSU tuition increase, which the council issued a memorandum on and presented to the Board of Directors.

Based on the values of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, SQE believes the HSS ICC would support their counter event on the day of Yiannopoulos’ appearance.

The presentation also included why SQE believes Yiannopoulos’ presence on campus would not be beneficial to students, citing the costs of having high-profile names on campus.

“It costs money to bring celebrities here, especially the bigger the names. Whether it’s Milo Yiannopoulos, Bill Nye or Magic Johnson, security costs come from the university,” Sanchez said.

SQE also mentioned the current political climate as a reason to denounce the Yiannopoulos event and cited last semester’s incident involving members of the CSUF College Republicans club creating a fake Instagram account promoting a “Students for Quesadillas and Enchiladas” event.

Chris Boyle, president emeritus of the College Republicans, said he knew which members of the College Republicans were running the fake account but did not stop them because he believed the account facilitated free speech, as it was a parody account.

“As a club member I think it’s unfortunate that the HSS ICC would, instead of standing up for our club, which is a member of the Humanities and Social Sciences, consider taking the side of an unregistered student organization,” Boyle said.

The vote will take place during the next HSS ICC meeting on Sept. 15.