LA County Fair’s “College Days” offers free fair fun for CSU students

In Arts & Entertainment, Lifestyle, Top Stories
(Natalie Nuesca / Daily Titan)

Admission will be free for CSU students this Thursday as a part of the fair’s “College Days” promotion. Students just need to bring a copy of the coupon from the fair’s website and their school ID.

Upon entering, guests are greeted by the chatter of crowds and the Southern California palm trees towering over their heads.Aside from the colorful character balloons and funnel cake shop parked by the tunnel entrance, people may not think they’re at the LA County Fair until they venture a little further in, where game tents and carnival rides come into view.

To the right, booths are lined up, selling souvenirs like bags, hats and little knick knacks. As guests walk further in, they’ll near the Plaza Stage, where live performances are held daily.

Near the Plaza Stage, the Big Red Barn can be found, presenting opportunities to meet farm animals, including: goats, chickens, cows and pigs. There’s even a petting zoo area where farm-animal lovers can interact with goats and pay to feed them. However, those who don’t like having their shirt bitten and chewed on may want to keep their distance.

On the other side of the fairground, visitors will see rows of traditional fair games like water shooting, balloon popping, basketball and ring toss. The game booths have different prizes, mostly stuffed animals, in an array of sizes.

Unfortunately, the only free thing at the fair is admission, but a little fair fun is worth spending some money. Tickets will need to be purchased for games and rides.

A fair wouldn’t be complete without a few classic rides, including a giant slide, carousel and the ferris wheel, all of which the LA County Fair offers. There’s also the Sky Ride, where the riders’ only protection is a mere metal bar across their laps as they soar above the fairgrounds.

The Grammy Museum brings “The Taylor Swift Experience” to the fair, charging $5 for admission. This exhibit features photos and song lyrics on the walls, memorabilia, a dance floor with tiles that change colors as you step on them and speakers blasting Taylor Swift songs. Don’t worry, everything inside is pre-”Reputation” Taylor and even if attendees aren’t die-hard Swifties, the air conditioning makes it worth the money.

If visitors are searching for a free exhibit, there’s “The Magical World of Dragons, Wizards and Beasts,” which features a large book collection and Cogsworth from “Beauty and the Beast” sitting atop an empty fireplace.

There are more things to see and do in the expo halls, which host a large amount of different shops and activities. One of the expo halls includes The Igloo, where visitors can ice skate or slide down a small, fake snow hill.

When night approaches, visitors can enjoy a concert at the End of Summer Concert Series Stage in the Grandstand area. Tickets range from $34 to $95.

Finally, the most important thing about any fair is the food. The LA County Fair serves typical fair foods – turkey legs, fries and corn. For those feeling a little more adventurous, there’s deep-fried butter, frog legs, cheesecake and banana splits. These snacks may not be top-rated dishes, but they’re perfect for the guests who want to get a true taste of the fair.

If you’re 21 or over, you can crack open a cold one with your friends at the Craft Beer Experience, where there is a tasting bar for guests to try 20 different craft breweries.

Although the LA County Fair is not up to par with the beloved Orange County Fair, it’s still a great way to take a break from classes and enjoy the last days of the summer season.

A girl looking the mirror, on the outside she is smiling but in her reflection she is frowning

Column: Struggling with narrow beauty standards

I have never struggled more with confidence than I have in the past three years. As I’ve gained weight,

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye west sings with three silhouettes of girls in the background

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to