Letter to the Editor: In Response to “Denying climate change is hurting any chance America has at reversing the impact”

In Letters to the Editor, Opinion

In response to: “Denying climate change is hurting any chance America has at reversing the impact” Published on Sept. 12

It is simply incorrect to link hurricanes with global warming.

Madhav Khandekar, who has a doctorate in meteorology from Florida State University and is a former Environment Canada research scientist said “the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said in 2012 that a relationship between global warming and hurricanes has not been demonstrated. In their September 2013 assessment report, they had ‘low confidence’ that damaging increases will occur in tropical cyclones (hurricanes are a type of tropical cyclone) and drought due to global warming.”

In 2013 the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change said that “in no case has a convincing relationship been established between warming over the past 100 years and increases in any of these extreme events.”

“When the earth was cooling between 1945 and 1977, there were as many extreme weather events as there are now. The link between global warming and extreme weather is more perception than reality,” Khandekar said.

Written by, Tom Harris, B.A. Engineering, M.A. Engineering (Thermofluids Engineering.)

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out

28 commentsOn Letter to the Editor: In Response to “Denying climate change is hurting any chance America has at reversing the impact”

• I blocked her a long time ago.

• God for you.

• Constant Gardener

I see that you remain perfectly execrable, Tom.

• Actually, Holdren advocated no such thing. The book provides comprehensive and detailed histories of these issues in many countries. The book does not advocate “forced abortions, mass sterilization through food and water supply and mandatory bodily implants to prevent pregnancies.” Instead, the book raises the serious issue of over population growth and the need for zero population growth because any form of growth cannot continue forever.
    The 1977 publication of Ecoscience was co-authored by Paul R. Ehrlich, Anne H. Ehrlich, and John P. Holdren. In 1977 Paul Ehrlich was a Professor of Population Studies at Stanford University, Ann Ehrlich was a Senior Research Associate in Biological Sciences at Stanford University, and John Holdren was an Associate Professor of Energy and Resources at the University of California. Paul Ehrlich wrote the chapters on population – birth control and abortions etc. John Holdren wrote the chapters on /energy/.
    You might want to read it.

• Prince Philip did not actually say exactly what you think he said. You are mixing quotes out of context. In his 1986 book he said “I must confess that I am tempted to ask for reincarnation as a particularly deadly virus.” Then, in his 1988 book, he spoke of “the annual fluctuations in the populations of /game animals/…and the need to adjust he cull.”
    These are completely different books on different topics, written 2 years apart… and yet you conflate them to support your paranoid ideations.

• Now, I’m not going to bother looking up the Quote from Newkirk, ’cause 1) she’s largely correct, and 2) she’s part of a great group — People Eating Tasty Animals
    😉

• I think the idea of reincarnation as a deadly virus to kill humans is sufficiently evil to make my point.

• Sorry Tom. YOU’RE wrong. Your APCO bio provided in CB’s attachment, speaks for itself. It outlines your financial ties to the fossil fuel industry and your work for them as a PR man, both of which you vehemently deny.