FCC chairman Ajit Pai is not being so sweet to net neutrality

Courtesy of Flickr

It takes no stretch of the imagination to guess that President Donald Trump would have brought America into the chaotic mess it’s become today. Trump’s been squabbling with the NFL and has revamped travel restrictions after nearly the entire world critiqued the first draft.

However, the one aspect that Trump himself isn’t smart enough to screw up on is the internet. Unfortunately, that task is left to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman Ajit Pai.

Though net neutrality doesn’t warrant picket signs and celebrity outrage like a travel ban or an NFL callout, it is a vital issue and makes a big blow to today’s world.

With the influx of information, 62 percent of news is read on social media, according to the Pew Research Center.

It’s important that every form of interface is as unbiased and as easily accessible as possible so that the fears of George Orwell’s “1984” can stay fiction.

If the regulations of net neutrality are overturned, like Pai intends, internet service providers could throttle certain news outlets so they may be easier to access than others.

The news, as we consume it, could become one big agenda.

And with the help of Pai, Orwell may be rolling in his grave; that’s why it’s time to ditch Pai.

Not only was he employed by Verizon, a notoriously anti-consumer corporation that’s been aiding in Pai’s terribly greedy decisions, but Pai has been actively working against having a free and open internet.

Despite recent controversy and increase in pressure, Pai has denied the public or any entity information that would otherwise help prevent the repealing of net neutrality regulations.

With three lawsuits by freelance journalists and a public request by nine senators to reconsider net neutrality regulations, the FCC is not looking too hot. Perhaps they need to lose some of their weight, and pie isn’t healthy.

Perhaps a shedding of weight might help, maybe a diet. Pie is no good for a diet.

The lawsuits against the FCC are harrowing enough to make them reconsider everything that’s going on. With upwards of 22 million comments on the FCC’s page for net neutrality, there are around 1 million speaking out specifically in favor of the regulations. However, these are suspected to be fraudulent, according to Ars Technica.

Even with lawsuits filed and public outcry, the FCC continues to stay silent. It seems that millions of comments and multiple lawsuits won’t faze Pai.

At a monthly FCC meeting Pai said, “The raw number is not as important as the substantive comments.”

It’s no shock that consumer opinion means as much to Pai as lawsuits do to the FCC.

The question now is: What is there to do? If the chairman of the FCC won’t respond to the public’s outcry, then what hope is there?

Thankfully, America is a pretty stellar place, one where if enough people come together and express an extreme opposition and displeasure to a certain public entity, that entity will be held responsible and hopefully extracted.

Now, this isn’t as easy as it sounds. The best way to go about remedying the murky future of the internet is by telling the Senate to fire Pai by not reconfirming him at the end of the year.

The Free Press petition offers this service.

Hopefully, with enough votes and public notoriety, the Senate can give the internet the Christmas miracle it deserves.