Night Owl: Morning birds flock to coffee shop for “Good Day LA” takeover

In Lifestyle, Top Stories
(Lauren Hofer / Daily Titan)

Fire trucks, police officers and Fox 11 news vans lined Amerige Avenue outside Fullerton’s Night Owl Coffee Shop. A crowd of pedestrians and service members gathered outside the shop, but no one seemed to be rushing anywhere.

There was no reason for alarm in Downtown Fullerton as community members took in the fresh morning air, chatted around tables, took pictures and listened to live music. Rather, people were drawn to the Fox 11 morning show “Good Day LA” coffee shop takeover event Wednesday morning.

Free coffee and tea attracted planned attendees and casual onlookers to the small, local shop. At some point during the event, the line even stretched out the door and down the sidewalk.

Throughout the morning, Fox 11 TV personalities Maria Quiban, Araksya Karapetyan and Sandra Endo interacted with the community, dancing to the live music, taking selfies with fans, holding babies and broadcasting while sitting on police motorcycles.

Fox 11 gave out free specialty merchandise bags containing sunglasses, t-shirts, headphones and cups.

Fox Creative Services Vice President Jim Ladas said that the show does a coffee shop takeover every couple of months.

“We’re trying to basically be in the neighborhoods where our fans and viewers watch us,” Ladas said.

Community members and fans of the show, Roger Sosa and Cynthia Salazar, enjoyed their coffee outside as the news anchors filmed nearby. Sosa and Salazar said they have attended coffee takeovers put on by “Good Day LA” before.

“We’ve been following them for a few years and going to their events and it’s just fun,” Sosa said. “We’ve befriended some of the newscasters so we just come and say ‘Hi,’ and kill some time before the grind.”

This event was Quiban’s first time visiting Downtown Fullerton and she appreciated the buildings and the venue of the takeover.

“A lot of people come out and say ‘Hi’ and say, ‘We watch you every morning. We get dressed depending on what you say, and you’re in my living room every day,’ and it makes me feel so good,” Quiban said.

Fullerton Fire Department’s pinked-out fire engine was present to promote its upcoming Pinktober event and community members stopped to take pictures.

Local artists performed outside including Apollo Bebop, a Santa Ana-based jazz hip-hop band, and the Fullerton High School band.

Night Owl owner Joseph Rosati said he loves the community aspect of the coffee shop takeover, which Night Owl has hosted before. Rosati said in the current smartphone society people live in, we need to put down our phones and start talking to one another.

“This is a great city. They’re looking for moments to get together,” Rosati said. “The world is crazy. We’re not communicating. We’re not trying to understand each other … This is a chance for everyone to (say) ‘Hey, I’m your neighbor.’”

Crime Log: Stalking, false fire alarm and speeding contest

Cal State Fullerton University Police responded to various crime calls during the month of March, ranging from speeding contests,

Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the